N/A build discussion
By jaydeem09
#123028 so i recently put a sohc zc vtec into my eg hatch. my trans is starting to go out so i was wondering if anyone knew what the best tranny would be to go with this setup? like short gear or long gear? and the code for it? and if you can please direct me on where i can pick one up. and for the rest of the build i was wondering what would be some good stuff to get for starters and where the best place is to get them. im in the military and dont have a lot of time to look into stuff so i would greatly appreciate it. thank you,
charles
By chrono404
#123089 The Best Transmission from Honda would be off the D15b VTEC. It has an LSD Tranny, Totally awesome. If you dont want to pay that kinda of money you can get a D16z6 or D16y8(Off a USDM 92-95 Civic EX, Si or a 96-00 Civic EX respectfully) They have the short gears that are good for acceleration.

If you want a car that gets epic mileage then get a VX/CX Transmission. It will be slow as hell but get awesome fuel economy.

Hope that answers your questions.
By Greasedmonkey
#123119 D15b and 92-95 z6 tranneis are geared the same. The only difference is the optional LSD on the JDM tranny.

I say, pick up a 92-00 EX tranny and get a OBX lsd for it. Cheaper and just as good.
By jaydeem09
#124608 so i am getting the tranny from jdmcarboy.com. as for the rest of the build i was wondering what would be the best for n/a hp and where to get the parts?
By Greasedmonkey
#124615 for NA power on a D, you will want more compression. Head work and a Cam and valvesprings. That is where you will get most of your power.

Then there are things like cam gear, Intake manifold and Header. Test Pipe or High glow cat, and a good exhaust.

Most important thing WILL BE YOUR TUNE. I suggest Hondata s200 or s300.

You need to figure out what compression you want. Once that is determined, you can choose your pistons. Either stock honda units that will get you there, or after market.

Cam wise you will want at least a stage two. Bisi, Zex and some other make some good ones.

Head work will be KEY for this build. A good port and polish, with maybe some bowl work is where the majority of your power will come from.

INtake manifold choice should be rather simple. SKunk2. Its the Exhaust that will pose a problem. The good quality headers will cost a good amount. SMSP, Bisi make great parts!
By jaydeem09
#124624 ok well idk much about head work so whats a bowl? i know about porting and polishing. and i already have a test pipe with 2 1/4" piping and dc headers. and i got a p28 ecu reprogrammed from a friend off his comp. and idk about the whole compression thing either or how to get it different so any help there would be greatly appreciated. thank you
By Greasedmonkey
#124671 Bowl work you shouldnt worry about then. The machine shop I went to said they do it anyways. They just smooth it out or reshape it to help with your application.

As for compression you will want 11.5:1 ish. That will be your safest bet for a good NA D build. If you would like to use OEM pistons here are some good choices and the CR they will net you with an undecked block and umilled head.

PDN-A00 (US 98-00 GX) - 11.9:1

PG6 (US 86-87 D16A1) - 11.67:1

P29 / PM7 (ZC) - 12.05:1

You can always get a set of custom JE, Aries or other pistons.

Using a 30.00 mm Compression height and a 1 cc dome you will get about a 11.5:1 compression.

after market pistons will run you alot more money.
By jaydeem09
#124716 ok so if i go with the d16a1 pistons then i should be good right? and will they just drop in or will i have to do any boring? any help is greatly appreciated i have never swapped out parts in a block or any kind of boring or machine shop work. thank you again
By jaydeem09
#124717 does anyone know the stock compression ratio on a sohc zc vtec?
By platnuim86
#127093 charles dude instead of na just boost it you'll be spending less or around the same to boost it
By Greasedmonkey
#127236 You will not have to bore, you might want to hone though. Stock CR should be around 9.2:1
By jaydeem09
#135182 so im gettin a 5 angle valve job and a bowl job. i will be gettin it ported and polished along with the IM and TB all the same to compensate for the air flow. wat HG should i use to raise my compression? i cant find any super thin ones anywhere. and wat will be my final compression?
By Greasedmonkey
#135234 wont know compression ratio with out knowing how much they shaved, and how much bowl work was done and if they opened it up some.

You can always get a y8 gasket and take out the middle layer.
By jaydeem09
#135257 just a stock y8 gasket? and how would i take the middle layer out?
By Greasedmonkey
#135552 that I dont know. I never tried. Doesnt raice the CR enough to matter anyway.