Topics that apply to all 92-95 civics
By teal_dx
#355668 My car turned 23 years old this year! It's crazy to think it's been around that long and how the scene has evolved around this era and how much it has changed.
I've seen a lot happen in my 15 years of owning my EG. They got older and cheaper as time went on and I began seeing more beat up/rusted out EG's on the streets than nice ones.
When drifting became mainstream, the value of civics seemed to drop as everyone was scooping up the RWD japanese cars (240, miata, ae86 etc.)
I look at cars from the 80's that could be bought for cheap 5 years ago have really began to climb up in value. (my 85 Toyota Pickup for example). That makes me realize that our cars are going to be hitting the 25 to 30 year old mark soon. 25-30 years is typically when people look around and realize that there aren't many nice ones left on the road, and are willing to pay more $ for a nice example. From there, the car is considered historical, or collectible.
Do you think our cars will ever be considered "collectible" :?
By HeikDiesel
#355743 Honestly I don't think so. I thought my SIR-S would be a "collectible" vehicle but I think that maybe some select models may be, for example I would pay a premium for a 94-95 White Si hatchback if I could find one in mint condition, but I think for the general public that the 92-95 civic will never be considered a collectible.
By teal_dx
#355767 So you think "Cult following" might be a more appropriate term? Like never on the level of a 57 chevy or Corvette, but maybe more along the lines of an original Mini Cooper, or a Datsun 510? Something that most of the public would look at and say (it's pretty cool/different, but I'd never buy one) :?
By iLLson
#355771 i think eventually it will be going up in price.

hey.. 10 years ago, i bought my pretty clean crx for 900...now people are asking 4k+ for one in the same condition

i think any car that left a mark in modifying history will eventually go up in price.

our civics has a lot of aftermarket support and at one point, EVERYONE wanted one.
i think in another 10 years, it should be almost impossible to find a decent condition one...and the prices will start to climb. especially the hatches. and of course the SI
By suspendedHatch
#356002 Honda Civics will someday be as revered as muscle cars are today, but we've still got 30 years minimum to go until we reach that point.
As for current examples going for $4k- there's a BIG difference between what people ask for their cars and what they actually get. People asking for more than $3k for an EG still get laughed at. A few command that price but the fact that some get it is just a precursor of what's to come.
People that sold their Civics and are now driving WRX's, Scions, Golf's etc will get old one day and feel nostalgic for their first tuner car. That's when EG hatchbacks, CRXs, EFs, wagons and to a lesser extent, coupes will become collectors. The very common models (sedans, coupes, automatics, non VTECs) will only become collectible after the preferred models are VERY hard to find.
The aftermarket will experience a renaissance and expansion. There's already a very solid blueprint of parts but most of today's companies will be gone and replaced by fewer, larger companies offering a more comprehensive restoration catalog.
The culture will be VERY different, which will be quite welcome. Instead of immature kids it will be knowledgeable adults not motivated by desperately trying to get laid and impressing their friends but by a true appreciation for these cars. The focus will be on period correct restoration and not on expensive rims and ridiculous camber.
Some of us live that shit Today but aren't understood by our peers.
By teal_dx
The focus will be on period correct restoration

That's exactly what I want to do to my car, except for under the hood. (can't give up my boosted SOHC, although it is kind of a period correct modification if you think about it)
By suspendedHatch
#356578 Exactly. There's no way SOHC non VTEC with rear drums will win out over an engine swap and brake conversion. What the muscle car guys call RestoMods will just be a standard for our generation. The only cars that will get respect for being fully original down to the serial numbers will be NSX's and Type R's.
By J40987
#358837 Sorry if this is considered a necro post. =.=

Anyhow, hi from the Philippines. From observation it is probably a bit too early to tell. It doesn't look too good due to the stigma associated with the history of ricers. But maybe we'd be known for the preferred car Vin Diesel's crew used to hijack goods in the Fast franchise. :roll:

Locally though, EG's are pretty popular and can be quite expensive. Rust buckets and crap mash ups can still go for more than $2k. (Unfortunately I ended up with one of those.) While decently restored ones are at least a little over $5k. Theme builds like, "eg6 style in and out" have been posted for at least $6-8k. One incomplete "race project build" reaching almost $20k with no motor. =.=

Engines really do add quite a bit to the price as well, wherein B16 will go for $5k and up for a motor and tranny as an example.

Entering em in car shows and getting a few trophies also helps boost their value somehow.

A period correct clean and proper SOHC restoration will probably fetch about $8k-$10 for now. But for that price, I'd just keep it and enjoy it for what it is. EG hatches are so sick 8)
By teal_dx
#358850 I realize there were a lot of civics sold in the US, but there comes a point in time where you look around for a car that was everywhere at one time and there are none to be found.
A clean, bone-stock EG is already getting to that point. All the ones I see around here (which aren't a lot) are either stock high mileage with rotted away rockers/quarter panels, or riced out spray bombed slammed with some rust, or every once in a while I'll see a clean, tastefully modified 92-95 civic.
EK's are still everywhere, but EG's are starting to become scarce. EF's and CRX's are extremely rare around here any more.

So many cool 80's cars that were first-cars when I was in high school seem extinct now. In the rust belt, I feel like the 92-95 civic is on the same path.

Extinct 80's cars... that gives me an idea for a good thread... :werd:
By J40987
#358860 Unfortunately I have my doubts about the existence of prestine eg here, locally. "Clean" ones will have some sort of restoration work done on them. Disclosed or otherwise. Front cut, roof cuts, rear cut, etc. =.= Unavoidable, in my opinion, due to the crazy number of typhoons and flooding we get.

Though, given the nature of the ef, eg, and ek as tuner cars with massive aftermarket support, I guess you could say they are historically relevant and will be valuable and iconic. Probably at the level of or just below 240z. :weee:

As of now, they're still considered "current". I'd love a CRX though.
By MG6
#6908546 Living in restricted CA, I got a friendly letter from CA Air quality department asking if I want to participate to trade in the EG for $1000 in the pocket (if i qualify)... Guess most old cars goes to the scraper for one of those reason, but if you can make it fully functional and still make head turns - keep it and daily it!
By teal_dx
#6908549 Wow who in their right mind would sell their running EG for $1000?? Although I hate road salt, Ohio is pretty lax on what you drive. THere's only a hand full of counties that have emissions check here.