Topics that apply to all 92-95 civics
By dem0nk1d
#353258 Gents,

Picked up a 95 Ex coupe a few weeks back. Bought it as a project car. So far I have done a full rebuild on the top end. That’s hot tanking, bead blasting, resurfacing, 3 angle valve job, and all new exhaust valve guides. New gaskets all around, etc… Everything was replaced minus the rods, rings, lower bearings and pistons.

So fast forward to last night. I went and got my first tank of gas, got on the freeway and test drove the engine to make sure the head gasket sealed properly. One of my biggest concerns was the corrosion on the cylinder sleeves. This was due to the dumb chick running straight water on the engine. This caused some horrible chips on the outer area of the sleeves.

Images attached of corrosion chipping below

Sorry for going on a tangent. Here is my concerns from this morning’s ride to work.

*Radiator fan always on once ignition is on
(stuck radiator fan relay??)

*Tac and speedo jumping all over the place
(bad ground / loose ground under dash??)
By suspendedHatch
#353262 Escondido huh? That's where I'm moving at the end of the month.

The car didn't run beforehand? It would help to know if the issue existed before any work you did.

If you suspect the relay, why not go to the junkyard and swipe one? Swipe a coolant fan switch too.

Unplug the fan switch on the thermostat. If your relay is sticking, it will still run. Test the wire for continuity to ground, it shouldn't be grounded. If it is, find out where and fix it.

Test the switch itself. It should be open until 200 ish F, then switch to ground. If it's always ground, replace it.
By suspendedHatch
#353263 Speedo is the sensor in the trans near the firewall and the tach is the ignitor in the distributor. Has the cluster wiring or engine harness been tampered with?

If you shove your head under the driver's side dash and look straight up, there's a ring terminal ground just below the cluster on the gas pedal side. There's also a cluster of grounds on the side facing the driver's side door IIRC.
By dem0nk1d
suspendedHatch wrote:Escondido huh? That's where I'm moving at the end of the month.

The car didn't run beforehand? It would help to know if the issue existed before any work you did.

If you suspect the relay, why not go to the junkyard and swipe one? Swipe a coolant fan switch too.

Unplug the fan switch on the thermostat. If your relay is sticking, it will still run. Test the wire for continuity to ground, it shouldn't be grounded. If it is, find out where and fix it.

Test the switch itself. It should be open until 200 ish F, then switch to ground. If it's always ground, replace it.

suspendedHatch,

I just moved from the Mira Mesa area, which is the middle San Diego county. Escondido is considered North County, moved here last may. Let me know when you move down here I can show you around town and what's to do out here. Really nice back roads if you have a motorcycle, or scooter.

Where are you coming from??

I suspect it's the ground under the dash messing with the cluster. I removed the hack job the previous Alarm installer. Looked worst than a rats nest. You know these alarm installers don’t take the time to do a nice stealth install like you or I would do.

Now when I did buy the car I did notice the Radiator fan was stuck on. I thought it was due to the gunk that was built up in the coolant system, due to it having a blown head gasket. Wasn’t too concerned only that it would make the 30 mile trip to Escondido. I was able to steal the car practically for 700 bucks.

So I’ll check the issues as we both brought up some of the same possible causes. Also let me know when you move down here. I will surely show you around. Or we can have a beer or ten.