General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By fhukingviet
#153373 thanks alot , really informative will be firing up a new engine soon
By eg84dr
#218799 i know its an old thread but im breaking in my new rebuilt d15b and i wanna know actual results on breeaking engines in
the take it easy way vs the give it rpms way
my local garage is telling me give it rpms for the first 100miles or so
By Prodegsivic
eg84dr wrote:i know its an old thread but im breaking in my new rebuilt d15b and i wanna know actual results on breeaking engines in
the take it easy way vs the give it rpms way
my local garage is telling me give it rpms for the first 100miles or so

I have a z6 I need to do the same thing and want the same info.
By eg84dr
#289559 ill tell you what i did and it worked and as far as i know my motor has 15k on it and still runs great but if something blows up its not my fault lol
i started it and let it idle for aproximitly 1-2 mins then i drove it untill it got up to temperature then shut it off and let it cool completly and then took it out again till it was up to temp then i changed the oil filter and the oil .
i used non detergent oil for the first 25-50 miles then after that use your preffered oil.
to break in the rings you need to give it rpms but very gently and very consistant .
example: take off in first gear bring the rpms up to 4k but very slowly and easy on the throttle then go to second and do the same then go to third and when you reach say 55-65 in third let off the gas and let it slow itself down alomst to a stop and repeat this process untill it gets up to temp.
then let it cool off COMPLETLY then do this again 2-3 times and change the oil and filter.
take it easy for the first 300 miles try not to stay at a consistant speed for the first 300 miles.
also try not to let it idle for a long time more than a few mins is not good for new bearings .
you basically dont want to keep it at the same rpm for a very long time .
give it throttle (not more than 50%) and go threw the gears up and down .
back pressure is very important when breaking in a motor .
also when you first start the motor it is going to smoke this is normal the rings havnt seated yet .
if after the first run/drive it still smokes then your not giving it enough back pressure.
letting it slow itself down doesnt have to be in just third gear too you can bring the rpms up in any gar then let itself slow down in any gear as long you give it back pressure you willl be good
its very hard to drive it this way but its the only way that actually works as far as im concerned.
:thumb:
hope this helps
and i have tried breaking in motors the take it easy way and they dont last as long and will smoke much sooner than they should
:thumb:
By 1-low-92-EG-Sedan
#304190 im about to "break" in my motor...it has new rings and rod bearings and a clean up hone...any suggestions on how i should "break in" or seat my rings....i plan on letting the car idle for a couple mins and then start doint the "RPM" way considering its not a brand new motor..just some new components...

oh..and i think this should be a sticky or something...im glad i just stumbled across this :thumb: :thumb:
By eg84dr
#304223 sounds like you have the right idea
just dont baby it is really the biggest thing and make sure your thermostat is good a sticking thermostat can totally wreck a brand new motor
dont be afraid to give it rmps like i stated above
By 1-low-92-EG-Sedan
#304350 well i put it all in and fired her up...for the first 15-20 miles i brought it up to about 4500-5000 rpm...then i started brining it to about 6000-6500 rpm everyonce in a while...seems to be runnings great so far...i got about 125 miles on the motor not..gunna do an oil change in the morning :thumb: :thumb:
By eg84dr
#304369 sounds like its going good
let us know how the oil looks
if its possible drain it into a very clear container and u should see a little bit of sparkle to it. thats what u want it means the rings seated
glad to hear another honda motor revived :thumb:
By 1-low-92-EG-Sedan
#304587 did the oil change..i actually have a magnetic drain plug so most of the big stuff was on that..she is running nice and hard...no smoke at all from what i can see!!! :thumb: :thumb: im up to 250 miles on the motor now..plan on doing another oil change at maybe 600-700 and then at the 3k mark..and start doing the regular oil changes