General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By Brenno69
#320343 good writeup
By suspendedHatch
kingkong559 wrote:Smog tech for test 1 said it could be my cat. My friend who is a tech said it might be my cat too. Before I go and throw money away on a new cat I'd like some help first. After 2nd test I finally got paid and did some tune up. I did timing belt, water pump, timing tensioner, valve cover gaskets, crank/cam seals, thermostat/gasket remove and replace the coolant. Once I replace my oil pan gasket, I'm going to change my oil and oil filter. Then replace my clutch and tranny fluid.

If I need to change my spark plug dist cap and rotor before smogging, let me know and I'll do that.

What you've done so far isn't a tune up. All of that is good preventative maintenance but none of it will effect your emissions.

Smog tech's will always say cat converter for everything. For the most part a brand new cat will get you through the test, but quickly deteriorate if you don't fix the actual issue. You don't want to replace that every year.

You're running rich and not burning all the fuel. Undo whatever fuel mods you have if any. Most likely, a car sitting that long the injectors are fouled up. They stick open or squirt instead of spray and the engine can't burn it. Take them to have them balanced and blueprinted. Injector cleaner is a gimmick so don't waste your money. Check the vacuum hose to the fpr. If it's split, hardened or cracking, replace it.

Yes, change the oil, replace the plugs and rotor and check the timing. Check the distributor cap to make sure the "buttons" are springy, maybe brush them off with a wire brush.

Also burn through all the gas that's been sitting in the tank. Probably should have drained it out and used it for the lawnmower, but it's too late for that now ;-)
By kingkong559
#320820 First of all thanks for replying. Your help is greatly appreciated.

After I get the injectors balanced and blueprinted, check the timing, replace the plugs, rotor, cap, wires, and change the oil, should I replace the CAT as well? Or should I just go smog it?
By suspendedHatch
#321471 I'm not a fan of replacing parts until you confirm they are bad. I'd get the test and post your results if you still fail.

You used to get a free retest. I haven't lived in California for a while.
By kingkong559
#321472 Thanks. I'll do that. I'll report back in 2 or 3 months whether I pass or fail.

They dont do free retest anymore. You pay like 10 dollars less for the restest.
By kingkong559
#323292 Should I siphon all the old gas out and put new gas in before smogging again? (Gas is over a month old.) Is it necessary to get the cat to normal operating temperature before the test?

Thanks in advance. Your help is greatly appreciated.
By suspendedHatch
#323537 Gas, idk.

The cat converter does absolutely nothing until it's at operating temperature.
By Apexracing
kingkong559 wrote:Should I siphon all the old gas out and put new gas in before smogging again? (Gas is over a month old.) Is it necessary to get the cat to normal operating temperature before the test?

Thanks in advance. Your help is greatly appreciated.
how old is the gas? and what level was left in the tank?, and what environment was the car stored in?
By kingkong559
#323574 As stated in previous post... gas is over a month old. Store in garage and full tank.
By Apexracing
kingkong559 wrote:As stated in previous post... gas is over a month old. Store in garage and full tank.

should be fine then :thumb:
By Punksz6
#323606 Great Thread "suspendedHatch". I am actually gonna use some of this knowledge on my Coupe as I am super running rich. Started spittin black soot out the tail pipe. I'm thinkin my fpr is no good as well as my cat. Also took off my pressure gauge casuse it started to leak. I dont have to smog till July but need to fix this before more damgae is done.
By kingkong559
#323837 Wish me luck. I will be getting my injectors back tomorrow and will install them as well. Then go get it smog.
By kingkong559
#324132 Got my injectors back from the shop today. Installed and went for a retest. I did everything you recommended. This civic is all stock except for the exterior. So I have no engine mods. Compression is well within specs. I did the compression test myself in November 2012.

I don't know if this will matter but I have 18 inch rims on my civic so the speedometer will be wrong.

FAILED NOx @ 15mph
FAILED HC and NOx @ 25 mph.
Timing was 16 degrees (spec is 16 degrees +-)

15MPH 
CO2%: 14.9
O2%: .3 
Max/meas (PPM) 
HC:108/95
CO%: .57/.34
 NO: 835/1691

25MPH 
CO2%: 14.9
O2%: .2 
MAX/MEAS 
HC: 73/82
CO%: .48/.29
 NO: 542/1479

To top it off my check engine light came on after I left the smog shop.

I compared new test and old test. I noticed that the numbers are lower on the new test but not enough for me to pass smog.

HELP PLEASE.

Is it time for new CAT and o2 sensor?
Last edited by kingkong559 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Punksz6
#324179 Hi I am sorry you haven't got it fixed yet, could you pull the codes so we can know whats going on. Also you could borrow someones OEM cat and see if it passes with that. If it does than your cat was the problem and the O2 is probably gone too.

One more thing do you have a heatshield on your exhaust manifold? I'm not sure but would a cracked exhaust manifold cause you to fail smog? Check your manifold.
By kingkong559
#324183 No cracks on the exhaust manifold.

Check engine code 16 - fuel injector
I diagnosed using all data and 1 of the injector didn't have a resistance of 10-13 ohms. According to all data I need to replace this injector. Once my friend (who is an auto tech) confirm that I have a bad injector, I will replace it.

I dont know anyone with CATs so I will need to buy one and maybe buy an o2 sensor. I won't replace these parts until I confirm they are bad and waiting to see what suspended hatch have to say.

If I need a new cat which brand do you recommend? Yes I will stay away from magna flow. I was thinking about picking 1 up from napa auto parts but it says legal for California with automatic transmission. What??? So does that mean I can't use it? Refer to link below.

Link to the cat I will buy if I need a new one. Is this a good brand? I only want a direct fit cause it will be easier for removal in the future.
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 ... 130944.jpg

For o2 sensors I'll go with denso or ngk from an auto parts store.

I will seafoam my civic before my next smog.. is it okay to seafoam with new sparks plugs and other new parts?

Here is the report for my injectors:
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 ... 125053.jpg

EDIT: Today (01/19/2013)

My friend and I took off the cat. When my friend turned the cat so the holes face north and south, pieces of the inside fell out.

Looks like I'm getting a new cat and used injector.