General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By Ej2-B16a
partonie wrote:I have the same problem my civic overheats at stops. I fill the radiator almost every other day. I checked the oil everything looks fine. I replaced the cooling fan switch but it doesn't seem to come on when it gets hot. There is no leak. This is a 95 honda civic ex this has been going on for about a year and a half any help.

yah its ur fan man.. or thermastat.. not opening :O
By eg_hatchie
#30234 i have the same problem.. i go to the radiator show this morning.. he overhauled my radiator.. replace my thermostat.. and my radiator cap.. after 30 mins of driving my temp gauge is still going high... .. any help pls?!.... my fans are working..
By chnzgoofball
#30247 when i bought my eg i had overheating issues sitting in stop and go traffic i popped my hood and found out the dude i bought it from took off the fan :x
By flyinryan122
eg_hatchie wrote:i have the same problem.. i go to the radiator show this morning.. he overhauled my radiator.. replace my thermostat.. and my radiator cap.. after 30 mins of driving my temp gauge is still going high... .. any help pls?!.... my fans are working..

check the coolant temp sensor in the cylinder (located under the distributor) if it goes bad your gage will say it over heating when your really not. a way i was told to check it was to take the sensor out, plug it back into the wire that pluggs to it, turn your ignition on, and touch the end of the sensor to the body or somewhere it can be grounded, if it sparks it's good if not it's time for a trip to honda, mine was about $36 i think???
By teal_dx
flyinryan122 wrote:check the coolant temp sensor in the cylinder (located under the distributor) if it goes bad your gage will say it over heating when your really not. a way i was told to check it was to take the sensor out, plug it back into the wire that pluggs to it, turn your ignition on, and touch the end of the sensor to the body or somewhere it can be grounded, if it sparks it's good if not it's time for a trip to honda, mine was about $36 i think???

good info, I needed to hear this!
Tonight my eg's temp gauge was going up and down. There was no pattern, sometimes it would go up just past 3/4 when accelerating, then jump down back to just below 1/2 at a stop. other times it would creep up to 3/4 when sitting at a light, then jump back down to just below 1/2 when I started moving again.
The outside temp was in the 30's and the engine was running perfectly normal, so I had a hard time believing the gauge....
By flyinryan122
#30445 thats what mine was doing. i would drive around and it would be fine, then if i stopped the needle would jump to hot so i looked into a way to check the sensor and thats what i came up with. hope it helps you...
By eg_hatchie
#30459 i cant locate the coolant temp sensor.. do you have pics???..
By flyinryan122
#30479 it's the small round plug next to the one wire sensor. there are three sensors located under where the distributor is located, the temp sensor is the middle one i believe.
By flyinryan122
eg_hatchie wrote:still can locate it ... :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

what motor do you have
By flyinryan122
eg_hatchie wrote:ph12... carb type..

sorry cant help with that one :? haynes (or any other) manual would be your best bet.
By airride
#64204 I got a good one for this over heating problem. I did my waterpump, refurbished radiator, hoses, thermostat and it still over heated. But it sarted to steam at the radiator cap when the motor was running but the car was just parked. So I took the radiator cap of and shave a little bit off the metal where the cap goes and I never had problems again. :thumb: