General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By 92civicEGsedan
#355703 Okay so I found a b18 I might possibly get a hell of a deal on but my uncle was telling me that I need to do a "mini monster" swap I know that it's not possible that a D series head could fit on a B series block but he was so serious and has talked about it for years saying that it works and the engine would be able to "turn 12k rpms" can someone please give me some reassurance that this is not possible or prove me wrong
By Leppy
#355704 I am 99.5% positive that is impossible, as I'm quite sure the B block and D head will never line up to bolt together. Also, in order to get any engine to spin up to 12k RPM's, you'll have to machine the block and balance the crank, and bulletproof the pistons and rods. IF you get a D series head to fit, you'll have to port and polish the shit out the head, get a custom ground camshaft, bulletproof valves, springs, and retainers, not to mention making sure you get enough fuel and a REALLY good tune to even have the potential to spin that fast.

With the amount of money you need to spend to get that setup to work, you could buy a couple of B18C R-spec motors, or do a K swap that would probably net you more horsepower than that single-stick can manage without boost.
By 92civicEGsedan
Leppy wrote:I am 99.5% positive that is impossible, as I'm quite sure the B block and D head will never line up to bolt together. Also, in order to get any engine to spin up to 12k RPM's, you'll have to machine the block and balance the crank, and bulletproof the pistons and rods. IF you get a D series head to fit, you'll have to port and polish the shit out the head, get a custom ground camshaft, bulletproof valves, springs, and retainers, not to mention making sure you get enough fuel and a REALLY good tune to even have the potential to spin that fast.

With the amount of money you need to spend to get that setup to work, you could buy a couple of B18C R-spec motors, or do a K swap that would probably net you more horsepower than that single-stick can manage without boost.

Thank you I tried to explain that to him but he thinks he knows more then me
By TrailerTrash
#355716 not to mention just because an engine is spinning to 12,000rpms doesnt mean it is making power past 8,000rpms or so