General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By FlopUrDonk
#353196 I'll explain this the best I can. Recently did a b18c into a vx hatch. Everything went smooth until it came to the wire harness. Had to chop up the vx harness and Frankenstein it to make it fit the b18. My buddy had his friend do it as he didn't have room to store the car at his house long story short got the car running with the modded harness. But I was told that is what he does for a living so went with it. So car was running idling fine. Only code the car threw was tps! When I went and took the car for a drive it would misfire at 6k and vtec wouldn't active. Next day rpm started fluttering crazy same with the speedometer. Signs of ignition coil failure. Glad I made it to my buddies shop to time it cause shortly after it got timed it started misfiring and then shutoff at idle. no spark was permanent. Just replaced the whole dizzy with a new one, new wire, new plugs, no spark. Hmmm. Ultimately we came to the conclusion it hand to be the wiring. Messed with it unplugged and plugged a few things. Plugged the ignition connector back into the dizzy and car started right up. Drove it home and boy did she roar. Vtec activated and I was extremely happy. So. Been running good since ,though, ever time I start it cold if I shake the part of the harness where the 2 Plugs separate for the dizzy I can make it stall the car. When warm doesn't phase it. Yesterday I replace the tps cleaned out the throttle body and iacv?. Put back together and the wire harness problem has gotten worse. Misfired bad on the freeway. Limped it to work unplugged and plugged everything. When I left did the wiggle test at a cold start and she shut off with a soft wiggle. Started it back up let her warm up and got home fine though I drove her super soft. Wow. I should be a novelist.

My question is, is it even worth it to try and find the problem in the harness or should I just bite the bullet and get a gsr harness? At this point I'm just frustrated. Lol. I'll post a video tomorrow if u guys want to see.
Last edited by FlopUrDonk on Mon May 18, 2015 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By FlopUrDonk
#353239 I drove it today No problems but I found a guy who is parting out his GSR and offering his harness for $100. Think I'm just gonna get it for a peace of mind.
By FlopUrDonk
#353794 Alright after a ton of beer, pot, cursing the gods for creating such a cruel world I found out what was wrong with my ignition. Actually turned out my spark and fuel was both shutting off. Engine still cranked over. Having this problem?

CHECK THE GROUND TO YOUR ECM!

Found I was having a surge in the wire. Pulled it out of the terminal and it was damaged pretty bad. Re crimped. Installed. No surge everything seems fine. Keeping the Gsr harness just in case but been wiggle testing like no other and everything seems a okay. Just thought I'd update the fix.

Stay Classy!
By CopyLifted
#353795 Thanks for updating!

After reading your first post I was scrolling down to tell you to check your grounds lol.

I had a similar issue with my gsr swapped ek. Bad ground caused it to miss pretty bad.

Glad you found the problem! :thumb:
By FlopUrDonk
#353798 Its always the ground isn't it haha

I'm just glad I didnt have to pull the harness. Knock on wood. :pray: