General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By mhunter90
#353116 I have a 95 lx auto sedan that was very poorly taken care of..all stock except ebay catback and crappy intake someone put on...Ive done routine maintenance. oil change, plugs and wires ,cap and rotor, new fuel filter. and still not sure whats going on. I know these cars don't have a lot of power but I can literally floor it from a stop and it just bogs and I barely move until the rpms finally get up high like 3500-4k and then it takes off a lot quicker...any suggestions?
By ProjectB
#353129 How is your idle?
By mhunter90
#353133 Idle seems fine might be a little high..no CEL
By iLLson
#353134 air filter?
i know you said that there is a AM intake, but how is the filter condition? clogged cat/bad o2? dirty fuel injectors? exhaust leaks?

those will make a car feel weak.

take off the heat shield on the manifold and make sure it isnt cracked. (since its free)

ive had very poor performance and found out that the manifold is cracked causing a good exhaust leak which made the car feel like a snail
By mhunter90
iLLson wrote:air filter?
i know you said that there is a AM intake, but how is the filter condition? clogged cat/bad o2? dirty fuel injectors? exhaust leaks?

those will make a car feel weak.

take off the heat shield on the manifold and make sure it isnt cracked. (since its free)

ive had very poor performance and found out that the manifold is cracked causing a good exhaust leak which made the car feel like a snail
..good points..i think the air filter is fine..i swapped the cat out for a test pipe already thinking it was possibly clogged.im not sure how to check the injectors and I havmt checked the manifold for leaks but I will do that though I dont really hear any leaks
By mhunter90
#353139 Also wouldnt fhe CEL be on if the o2 sensor was bad?
By suspendedHatch
#353141 Pull the valve cover off, tdc the crank pulley and check the marks on the back of the cam pulley, make sure the cam timing is correct.

This will also give you the opportunity to check the condition of the timing belt, something you need to do when you buy a used car. Especially one that's been neglected.
By mhunter90
suspendedHatch wrote:Pull the valve cover off, tdc the crank pulley and check the marks on the back of the cam pulley, make sure the cam timing is correct.

This will also give you the opportunity to check the condition of the timing belt, something you need to do when you buy a used car. Especially one that's been neglected.
..i had a buddy change out the water pump and.timing belt a couple weeks ago..whether he checked the timimg though or just left it the way it is im not sure
By iLLson
mhunter90 wrote:Also wouldnt fhe CEL be on if the o2 sensor was bad?

not neccessarily
By suspendedHatch
mhunter90 wrote:i had a buddy change out the water pump and.timing belt a couple weeks ago..whether he checked the timimg though or just left it the way it is im not sure

It's quite clear that your cam timing is off. It's too bad that you changed your plug wires and other items unnecessarily (you should test wires before replacing them).
By mhunter90
suspendedHatch wrote:
mhunter90 wrote:i had a buddy change out the water pump and.timing belt a couple weeks ago..whether he checked the timimg though or just left it the way it is im not sure

It's quite clear that your cam timing is off. It's too bad that you changed your plug wires and other items unnecessarily (you should test wires before replacing them).
what makes you say that?? This is an issue ive had from the get go even before the water pump and timing belt was changed..also it wasnt unnecessary. The car was neglected. Changing those things made it run a little better.
By mhunter90
#353208 My buddy just confirmed that the timing was correct before and after he did the belt..he recommended trying a new set of injectors. From the junkyard or something