General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By J-rodSmitty
#353051 I did a tune up on my 94 civic d16z6 last month. I replaced plugs wires etc..... Now that weather has got warmer it acts like it doesn't want to start. I did replace the distributor o-ring. So im wondering should I try to re adjust it since I did it when weather was cooler?
By teal_dx
#353054 Doesn't want to start like it's not getting any fuel? Could be the main relay. Is the pump priming when you turn the key? (put your ear on the back seat and listen for a whine while someone turns the key)
By J-rodSmitty
#353059 Its getting fuel. Starts fine in the morning when its cool out, but when it gets hot outside it acts like it doesn't want to start. Don't know if weather has anything to do with it or maybe its just me. Just wasn't sure if when I replaced o-ring on distributor if its not adjusted right.
By TrailerTrash
#353068 check engine light on?

you could have bumped/broken the coolant tempature sensor plug/wire while working with the distributor because its literally right under the distributor
By J-rodSmitty
#353083 Yeah check engine light is on. But I think its a 02 sensor. Ill check temp sensor.
By TrailerTrash
#353100 unless its actually broken or unplugged you wont be able to tell if its working or not. mine was bad but not bad enough to throw a CEL. i spent over $500 trying to track down the problem that was keeping my car from starting when warm. turns out it was a $15 coolant temp sensor
By suspendedHatch
#353142 Coolant temp sensor wouldn't stop your car from starting - you have some other issue and the CLT was pushing you over the edge. You're probably running super rich. Why would you spend $500 if it was the CLT? Did you test any of the parts before you replaced them?

You set the ignition timing properly after you replaced the distributor O-ring? Did you retrieve the CEL? That's where you need to start.
By TrailerTrash
#353149 well the CEL didnt come on untill i had already replaced the other parts(and i didnt test them). and it was weeks after that i had replaced the parts before the CEL came on

i had set the timing properly and all that jazz but the CTS wasnt working and when the car was hot it would read it as cold so it wouldnt start right away i had to crank it over and pump the gas then it would idle at like 1500 and very very rich and would breakup when you gave it even a little throttle. thats the best way i can explain it and i really dont know what other problem it could have been because i replaced that sensor and i havent had a problem since. that was 3 years ago

and im not trying to argue with you on this dude but i had a sedan with the exact same starting problem and it turned out to be the same sensor only that time there was a CEL right away
By J-rodSmitty
#353162 Well I tried main relay and it didn't fix it! It almost seems like its getting to much fuel. I killed the battery last night trying to crank it to leave work. I got it going and this morning when I got to work I noticed a trail of black shit that I guess blew out my exhaust after I got it cranked.
By J-rodSmitty
#353178 So I was cleaning some valves out and I noticed the purge cut solenoid valve was not connected to any thing? Could it cause starting issues? Also looks like a line is missing off the top of the throttle body!?!?!
By suspendedHatch
#353185 It's never about arguing - it's just about trying to get to the root issue. I meant no disrespect and I appreciate your restraint in not telling me to go :x haha

J-rod, it sounds like you have a mess. Can you post some pics of your engine bay up close especially around the firewall and intake manifold as that is where most of these problems originate?
By TrailerTrash
suspendedHatch wrote:It's never about arguing - it's just about trying to get to the root issue. I meant no disrespect and I appreciate your restraint in not telling me to go :x haha

right on man 8)

im going to guess that the line on the top of the throttle body would be the one that goes to the evap/charcoal canister. but i could be wrong i think there are 2 or 3 lines on the top
By J-rodSmitty
#353207 Well I for the life of me cant figure out how to post a pic on here. haha :?