General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By teal_dx
TrailerTrash wrote:
suspendedHatch wrote:It's never about arguing - it's just about trying to get to the root issue. I meant no disrespect and I appreciate your restraint in not telling me to go :x haha

right on man 8)

im going to guess that the line on the top of the throttle body would be the one that goes to the evap/charcoal canister. but i could be wrong i think there are 2 or 3 lines on the top

Sounds right to me... In that huge pic with the top of the throttle body, that open vac line should have a hose going to one of the nipples on the Charcoal Canister. Then the other nipple on the charcoal canister should go to the Evap Purge Valve, black sensor on the back of the intake manifold (closer to driver side).
By J-rodSmitty
#353215 Sorry for huge ass picture. lol. Could this be my starting issue? I don't even see a charcoal canister! hahaha
By teal_dx
#353219 I don't think that would prevent it from starting, but it would definitely make it not run perfect and lose some MPG.

Lets go through some general things that would make it not start.
Is it getting spark?
Is it getting fuel?
Is the mechanical timing correct (top dead center)?
Is the ignition timing correct?
Do you gave good compression across all cyls?
Is the firing order correct?
Are all grounds good (valve cover, tranny and most importantly, thermostat housing)

Is it turning over, just not firing up and running? Is it sputtering at all like it wants to fire up or just cranking with no sputtering?
By J-rodSmitty
#353223 it tries to start and when it eventually does it runs fine.
By J-rodSmitty
#353233 cold start it fires right up. but if engine is warm from driving or sitting in the sun it doesn't wanna start up
By TrailerTrash
#353241 but if yuou try long enough it eventually does start?
By J-rodSmitty
#353248 yeah it starts eventually if it doesn't kill the battery first
By teal_dx
#353251 Next time it does not start, check to see if it is getting spark. If it isn't, I think your coil might be going out. I've seen them be intermittent before and not work when the engine is warm.

Or if you know someone else with a z6, swap distributors for a few mins and see how it starts then. (Be sure to mark the position of the distributors on both motors, so you won't need set timing again when you put the dizzys back on.)
If your car starts fine with the other distributor and the other car doesn't, then you found the problem.

Also, in your first post, you said you replaced "Plugs, Wires etc..." Did you also replace cap & rotor? If not, that should be the first thing to try, since they're cheap & easy to do. :thumb: