General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By jred
#351498 has anyone ever had this issue or even saw this before?

Its not actually my radiator in the pic but mines looks the same way, its not leaking but im a bit worried about driving around having noticed that its deformed like that.

What caused it to get this way? too much pressure?
I've been noticing that even when the engine is dead cold in the morning and i remove the radiator cap there's still allot of pressure stored in the radiator, is that normal?

The previous owner of the car had installed the radiator so i dont know if its a n Ebay part, and it doesn't have a brand name or manufacture id.
By CopyLifted
#351503 Never seen it before and initially I thought a blown head gasket. Where as you are getting exhaust gases in your coolant causing a lot of pressure. does it overheat or blow white smoke?

So that was my first thought. My second thought is, freeze damage. If the radiator froze, it could cause it.

Then I did some research and came across this. It might help to explain the possibility better.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt ... or-Failure
By jred
#351507 I suspect my head gasket too, Im seeing white smoke when i start up in the mornings to goo to work, but it doesn't overheat, gonna replace it this month as soon as possible dont want to risk damaging the motor.
Will the pressure build up cause the deformation?

Where I live it doesn't snow we have a tropical climate so freeze damage is out..
By CopyLifted
#351508 That's a good question. Honestly, I think if there is that much pressure (to cause the radiator to do that) it would blow the hoses first. Also, your radiator cap should relieve the pressure if it gets too high.

Are your hoses bloated?

Also, if it where a blown head gasket causing exhaust gases to get into the coolant (and build up pressure like that) it would typically overheat very quickly.

And since it doesn't freeze, I have no idea lol.
By Civic_HatchSI
#351511 Wow this is odd! I have never seen this before either... It has got to be a Ebay brand for it to do that, very low quality.
By JUICE
#351517 I've seen it before when a head gasket let go on a boosted setup, any pressure added to the fluid will balloon it out.