General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By Andre3th0u
#349949 A few weeks ago my car overheated and I replaced the radiator thermostat and both hoses. It ran fine no over heating issues at all. Then yesterday on my way back to school. I pulled off the interstate after driving for about an hour. The car was running a tad bit warmer than usual. And as I was pulling through parking lot the the temp gauge was going up. I cut it off and checked for leaks and checked reservoir level it had dropped a bit from the max line where I had it filled to. I could not find any leaks under the hood, the floor board wasn't wet, and I was over heating and losing coolant somewhere. I have checked oil and it shows no sign of coolant in it and the car doesn't seem to be burning it either. The only thing in the coolant system I did not replace were the heater core hoses. Any help on this would be great.
By ktang
#349955 Maybe the coolant is leaking into the cylinders, and then going out the exhaust?

Is your exhaust sweet-smelling, or unusually whitish?
By teal_dx
#349968 There's no coolant in the oil but are there any signs of oil in the coolant?

How bad did it overheat a few weeks back? Did the needle reach the top of the temp gauge? Enough heat can cause the head to warp which can lead to the head gasket leaking.
By teal_dx
#349974 I'd do a compression test, just to be sure your HG isn't leaking.

Another place to lose coolant is around the waterpump, when they start to go. It sucks because it's behind the lower timing cover, but worth a look if you're slowly losing coolant.
By Andre3th0u
#349975 I just got an estimate for a head gasket from a shop near my car and they said it'd be about $1000. We checked around the water pump but didn't notice and leakage around the back of it. I'll see if I can get a ride down to my car to do a compression test.
By teal_dx
#349976 yikes... luckily the parts are less than 1/4 of that cost (I did a DIY w/ pics here). But it might not be the HG at all. The compression test will determine that for sure. :thumb:
By Andre3th0u
#349980 If the car was home or closer to home i would do the head gasket but it's about 70 miles away. So that's why I'm looking to get it done at a shop and my mom is helping me out with it so we just want it taken care of quickly so I can drive it again. I'm having it towed to a shop and they're gonna figure it out. They gave a better price than the first shop. Will post what the issue was when i find out.
By JohnRM
#349981 Do you know if your cooling fan works? Check to see if it runs or check the connection near the bottom radiator hose towards the block and see if it's disconnected.