General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By 92civicEGsedan
#349774 So my car has been running fine till last night my battery died and had to get jumped off. When I got home I cut the car off and tried to start it again and it was dead. So today I went and clean off the battery connections and jumped the car off again took it up the road and back turned it off and tried to start it again and it worked just fine. About 7 hours later I had to go pick my girlfriend up from work got it the car and it was acting like the battery was dead and wouldn't turn over I got frustrated and just held the key turned over and it turned over slowly once then again and again and it started speeding up till it finally started. Got to my girlfriends work turned it off and cut it back and it started right up. I went inside and came back out 30 minutes later and did the same slow start as before. I think my battery's going bad but it worked fine till last night out of the blue always been quick to start up like maybe turnover once or twice then she'd fire up and purr like a kitten. Is there any other problems that could be causing this besides the battery?
By Driv-it-hard
#349780 The easiest was to rule out the battery is pull it out and take it the auto part store and test it with a load tester. The battery will drop well below the CCA that is indicated on the battery.
Or if you have load tester, you can do the same with one other person help.

That would be the first thing to check.
Then..... going to the alternater, check the cables , checking fuses . etc......

Best of luck
By brandoff88
#349792 sounds almost like the alternator isn't charging the battery, how long have you had your current battery? any corrosion on the terminals? how do the wires look? is the ground nice and tight and have good contact with bare metal? these are all things I would ask myself in your situation, if all that checks out and your battery is fairly new, id suspect the alternator, which you can have tested at any parts store, hope that helps! :thumb:
By 92civicEGsedan
#349799 The wires look good and the terminals and it has 14v the entire time its running just as soon as its off my battery drains but i havent had the battery a year yet but my mom got it free from the repo guy she share a building with for her work.
By Driv-it-hard
92civicEGsedan wrote:The wires look good and the terminals and it has 14v the entire time its running just as soon as its off my battery drains but i havent had the battery a year yet but my mom got it free from the repo guy she share a building with for her work.

To me it sounds like the alternator is running fine a charging the battery. Your problem could be the battery.
How many CCA does the battery put out ?
Does the battery have a date stamp or sticker ?
Have you had it tested ?
By jefferydclark
Driv-it-hard wrote:
92civicEGsedan wrote:The wires look good and the terminals and it has 14v the entire time its running just as soon as its off my battery drains but i havent had the battery a year yet but my mom got it free from the repo guy she share a building with for her work.

To me it sounds like the alternator is running fine a charging the battery. Your problem could be the battery.
How many CCA does the battery put out ?
Does the battery have a date stamp or sticker ?
Have you had it tested ?

agreed. sounds like the battery for sure. only suspicious thing is that it starts cranking slow and then speeds up til it starts. that's really weird.
By chnzgoofball
#349820 Sounds like battery isn't holding a charge
By 92civicEGsedan
#349824 Well I got a new alternator and battery so it's fixed $118 for the alternator they gave me one for a 02 civic and I took it back and the one for my car was $129 but I didn't have to pay anything since thy gave me the wrong one the first time and I got a new interstate battery for $84. Also my dad's work is letting me start a tab for any parts I need and letting me pay a little every week!