General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By andyc
#220136 just replace the rubber gasket between the head and valve cover, you could torque down the bolts after with a torque wrench (I think to 7lbs??) just dont strip the bolts...

you may just need to torque the bolts down, the gasket may not be bad.
By Tonyp436
#221544 Hey I'm about to do this and I have just about everything....just one question... do I need new headstuds?... I heard that I need new headstuds.... :?
By andyc
#221546 I believe thats the case as they stretch when torqued down. Probably a good time to upgrade to ARP which are reusable... Ive heard of people using the same head studs, I'm not sure if there were repercussions...

someone who has done this will chime in, im sure :thumb:
By Tonyp436
#221547 Yea i m just tryna fix this motor to stock then I'm gonna go ls-v later on. So I'm not tryna blow a lot of money on this motor. I used to have a teggy and I miss the pull I had lol
By andyc
#221549 what engine is it your fixing up?
By andyc
#221556 good luck with it buddy, hopefully someone will give you a definitive answer on the head studs. As I say, im sure you should use new ones but not sure if you'd get away with using the old ones.... dont want another gasket going from corner cutting eh :thumb:
By Tonyp436
#221557 Ya ifeel u. Just wondering is all..bc like most of america...money is tight lol
By andyc
#221558 same here buddy [smilie=BangHead.gif]
By teal_dx
Tonyp436 wrote:Hey I'm about to do this and I have just about everything....just one question... do I need new headstuds?... I heard that I need new headstuds.... :?

92-95 head bolts are stretch bolts and are not designed to be re-used although some people do.
By andyc
#221692 There you go :D
By unclecivic
#261053 Sorry to drag up an old thread, but i just had to re-RE-do my headgasket
First time out, I *did* re-use the old head studs because I knew no better, and lo and behold, a year later I had to re-do the gasket. :x So thats one person voting for " don't re-use ".....
This time out I bought ARP studs and went that route. I apparently need to re-torque them though? :? I've run it probably 6 or 7 times since the gasket re-do.
Totally off topic, but the gasket between the header and downpipe is todays chore....
By beerys95lx
#281057 how should i break in the new head gasket just drive normal or baby it?
By Bordeaux
#302244 I am soo affraid to do any engine work. I'm affraid to fuck some shit up. But this gave me confidence to do my headgasket. Thank you!!! Pics make everything easier! :D