General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By teal_dx
#38938 My civic would randomly get hot and I found there to be a grey sediment in my coolant, as well as a very fine oily substance floating on the surface. My head gasket may not have been blown, but there was definitely a leak from the combustion chamber into the coolant passage. Here's how to replace it:

The engine should be cool before starting.

take note of the order of your plugs, then remove them.

drain the coolant from the petcock

Removing the radiator cap will help it drain faster. While it is draining, disconnect the o2 sensor and un-torque the header bolts (evenly in the correct order).

Then on the intake side, un-torque all the bolts (evenly in the correct order). If you don't have a small enough wrench or ratchet to get the middle one through the hole in the middle, then you'll have to reach it from the bottom of the car.

The coolant is through draining. Look at it in the right light and you can see the oily film on the surface. Yep that is not right.

Next drain the oil. You could probably get by without doing this step, but now is a good time to change it.

Disconnect the harness & coolant hoses from the head. (the towel was suffed into the dizzy hole to stop oil from dripping out)

After the oil has drained & you are putting the drain plug back in, unbolt the 2 bolts holding the header to the cat. Then finish removing the 9 header bolts on top and remove the header.

Unbolt the valce cover bolts (evenly in the correct order) and remove the valve cover.

unbolt the 2 10mm bolts holding the upper timing belt cover & remove it.

Check to be sure that the timing is at Top Dead Center (TDC) just like in the pic. This will make your life easier should the position of the cam or crank change while you have everything apart. Leave the transmission in neutral (or park) so that if someone accidentally spins one of the front wheels while it is on jackstands, the crank will not move.

If it is not set at TDC, then turn the crank pulley by hand untill you reach TDC.

There is a small black plastic round cover. behind it is the timing belt tensioner bolt. You'll need to loosen it to get the timing belt off the cam gear.

Loosen the timing belt tensioner bolt and then you will get the slack you need in the timing belt to slide it off.

Next pull the intake manifold away from the head.

Untorque the head bolts (or studs) in the procedure described in the manual. Then pull the head off.

Have a clean area ready to set the head on.

Clean the oil off of the surface and get your gasket scraper (or razorblade) to remove anything left of the old headgasket.

That's enough for today, it's like 15° out. If you plan on taking a break, be sure to cover everything up so no dirt gets inside.
Last edited by teal_dx on Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By ohDirka
#38939 I zip tied the Timing belt to the pulley through the holes every time I did mine then pulled the belt light and tied it to the hood hinge. The timing was never off when I put it back on either :thumb:
By teal_dx
#49770 Image

here's how clean the block surface should be

Next get your new, clean head gasket ready to put on.

Optional is Copper Spray. I used it for extra insurance since this will be a boosted motor. It can help create a better seal.

sprayed both sides.

Then carefully put the head gasket on over the studs without touching the copper. Like that board game "Operation" (yeah I'm that old)

Then put the head back on. Be sure the intake, timing belt and hoses are not going to be in the way.

Applied ARP assembly lube to the studs. If you are using OEM headbolts, then never mind this and go ahead and put the bolts in now.

Cleaned all of the nuts & washers of dirt & oil.

And torqued them to 70 ft/lb in the correct order. (if you are using oem bolts, check your manual for the specs)

Now check to see that everything is still at TDC. If it is then tighten the belt tensioner. VERY IMPORTANT STEP!

Bolt the Intake back on to the head.

While doing so, I noticed this. No you don't need to remove the head to fix this. It is just a small ruber seal to keep dirt and oil (if your valve cover gasket leaks) from getting into the timing cover and ruining your timing belt.

See the missing 10mm bolt between the belt & gear - loosen that and you'll gain enough play in the plastic piece to tuck the rubber seal back under.

Now put the upper timing belt cover back on, then the valve cover.
tighten the bolts according to specs in the manual.

Bolt on the Dizzy to the same place you marked it before you took it off. Then the plug wires.

Don't forget the coolant hose & wiring under the dizzy when you're hooking all your hoses & harnesses back up.

and hook up your vtec y0!

Put the header back on. Refill your radiator, oil, and then bleed the coolant system.

When using ARP Studs, remember that you have to re-torque them after 5-10 heat cycles. (can't remember which one it is right now.)
By Gorveatt
#49775 This would have been handy if i decided to replace the headgasket myself, on my hatch... but i didn't... so someone else has to worry about it :lol:
By chrono404
#49776 Very Awesome Right up. I will probably end up doing this someday.
By BLACKS' COUPE
#49809 Great Write-Up Teal.. Just in time, cuz i was going to get the Head Gasket changed withing the next two weeks and now you are saving me 400 dollars that this mechanic wants to charge me. he said that you can damage alot of internal parts if you dont know what your doing but it looks like you are just using common sence and the manual.. lol :D
By teal_dx
#49813 yep, that's all it takes :thumb:
Don't even try it w/o a manual. The correct torque & sequence is very important.

Also, you're not supposed to reuse the OEM head bolts for 92-95 motors because they are stretch bolts.
By ohDirka
#49874 great write up :thumb: so you got the eg out in the nice weather? I heard it was like 70 out today
By importcustomx
#110297 Did you take the head to a machine shop for plaining? ive always been told when you do that you should have the head machine'd before you put it back on. they just level the base part that sits on the top of the head gasket.

i was just curious if you did this.

Sorry im a long time lurker, mainley im on CRX community..but i saw this how to and wanted to ask.
By importcustomx
#110339 okay awesome! well thank you sir

hell of a write up...well done!

if you dont mind im going to post a link to yours on crxcommunity.com