General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By DMX3
#212942 Cylinder walls looked good I did not see the piece from the valve it looks likes it was burned off.
By undeadone069
#217816 me and my friend changed my head gasket. i have a 92 honda civic sedan lx with a 1.5 i had the head reworked and everything. we put everything back together and it turns over but doesn't even try to start. we have checked all fuses, wires, injectors, its getting are, the dizzy is fine, And the spark plugs are getting their spark , we set the timing on it perfect. does anyone have any ideas? we are stumped. if u need more info just ask. :(
By the-hag
#217921 if the head is warped is there anything i can do that is less expensive than getting it machined? or should i just wait (i've got an ek for winter) and pick up a new engine in the spring? all help is greatly appreciated, this will be my first built project.
By the-hag
#217955 Ah darn, looks like that engine's a goner, thanks for the prompt response. I can live with the '98 for the winter. Any engine suggestions for my 94 hatch in the spring? I'm limited to about $1500. Something good for a first timer, nothin too insane. Thanks again
By FunctionX
#218455 Hey teal, where can i buy a head gasket?
By teal_dx
#218464 Dealership, any auto parts store, ebay...

I prefer to buy an OEM head gasket off of ebay if you can find one since the dealership is expensive for parts.

Also you might want to check 1Aauto

They are our sponsor and have free shipping. I've bought parts from them and never been disappointed in the price and they ship fast.
By FunctionX
#220051 another question, i need to seal my valve cover because there is a leak coming from the sides, are there any steps that i don't need to do if i'm just taking off the valve cover?
By andyc
#220136 just replace the rubber gasket between the head and valve cover, you could torque down the bolts after with a torque wrench (I think to 7lbs??) just dont strip the bolts...

you may just need to torque the bolts down, the gasket may not be bad.
By Tonyp436
#221544 Hey I'm about to do this and I have just about everything....just one question... do I need new headstuds?... I heard that I need new headstuds.... :?
By andyc
#221546 I believe thats the case as they stretch when torqued down. Probably a good time to upgrade to ARP which are reusable... Ive heard of people using the same head studs, I'm not sure if there were repercussions...

someone who has done this will chime in, im sure :thumb:
By Tonyp436
#221547 Yea i m just tryna fix this motor to stock then I'm gonna go ls-v later on. So I'm not tryna blow a lot of money on this motor. I used to have a teggy and I miss the pull I had lol
By andyc
#221549 what engine is it your fixing up?