General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By teal_dx
importcustomx wrote:okay awesome! well thank you sir

hell of a write up...well done!

if you dont mind im going to post a link to yours on crxcommunity.com

go for it :thumb:

but please get a smaller avatar (100x100) thanks!
By Eg6H2D
#122895 Hey teal. IM havin timing issues well trying to put my d16z6 back into proper timing.
I keep seeing this "16btdc"..

You mind shining some light on that for me..?
By teal_dx
#122918 16btdc is for 16 degrees before Top Dead Center. I don't have my car or manual here, but it is either the red or white mark on the crank pulley that you use with a timing light. If you have a manual, it should explain. If you don't have a manual, I'd spend the $20 before doing any work to the car :thumb:
By Eg6H2D
#123266 yea i def spent my 20 bucks on my manual.. lol.. cool thanks for the info.
By civicx01
#155054 this would have been good to know when i needed to replace it on my 94 civic before i sold it. lol
By andyc
#205329 I heard that if using the original head bolts that they have to be replaced if untorqued, is that always the case?
By teal_dx
ANDYC wrote:I heard that if using the original head bolts that they have to be replaced if untorqued, is that always the case?

92-95 head bolts are stretch bolts which are not supposed to be re-used because they lose their stretching property after being torqued initially.

I went to the dealer and new head bolts were almost $9 each, that was 8 years ago. So I bought a set of ARP head studs for just over $100 and I'm still using them today, on a different engine :thumb:

When I changed the Head gasket on my EK, I was told that those are not stretch bolts. Those only cost a few bucks each at the time, but you don't have to replace them - go figure.

I've heard of people re-using the stretch bolts without problems, but I never tried that.
By andyc
#205363 think ill go arp then... cheers matey
By crm114
#206512 Nice write up as always, teal. javascript:emoticon(':thumb:')

I pulled the head off my '91 DX but I left the intake and exhaust manifolds in place. Just decouple the exhaust below the header at the collector. Careful not to roach the radiator with the header flange. Might want to cover the radiator with a piece of cardboard or thin wood. Saves a little time, I guess. Certainly doesn't require any new intake or header gaskets.

Anyway, is that a Pacesetter manifold on your engine? Have you gone on with your turbo build? This site is a work of art, so take your time javascript:emoticon('[smilie=notworthy.gif]')

Lastly, do you know of a way to fix stripped valve cover bolt threads? I thought of dripping a bit of solder on the threads and installing them with a light touch...I think they're 6 ft/lbs, izzat right? peace, yawl!
By DMX3
#212890 hello, i am new to the forum and to civic's aswell i have a 93 civic dx 4 door i see the post is dated 08 but hoping to get a reply my number 2 cylinder has no comperssion and all others seen to have good comperssion trying to find out if it could be the head gasket i took the valve cover off and turned the key and everything was moving.any help would greatly apperciated......THANK YOU
By teal_dx
DMX3 wrote:hello, i am new to the forum and to civic's aswell i have a 93 civic dx 4 door i see the post is dated 08 but hoping to get a reply my number 2 cylinder has no comperssion and all others seen to have good comperssion trying to find out if it could be the head gasket i took the valve cover off and turned the key and everything was moving.any help would greatly apperciated......THANK YOU

It could be head gasket, piston rings completely shot or valve seals completely shot. (or cracked sleeve but that's worst case scenario.)
If you have oil in your coolant or coolant in your oil? It's strange to have NO compression at all... you may have a bent valve. Either way, it's going to require taking your engine apart so tear into it and get a better look :thumb:
By teal_dx
crm114 wrote:Anyway, is that a Pacesetter manifold on your engine? Have you gone on with your turbo build? This site is a work of art, so take your time javascript:emoticon('[smilie=notworthy.gif]')

Lastly, do you know of a way to fix stripped valve cover bolt threads? I thought of dripping a bit of solder on the threads and installing them with a light touch...I think they're 6 ft/lbs, izzat right? peace, yawl!

The header is actually by Air Mass. I got it in 2002 from a guy who blew up his motor so it was cheap. It's sitting in the basement now because it has been replaced with a turbo manifold :)

I've never had the head strip out, only the VC bolts snap off.
6 ft lbs is correct I believe. You could try solder but I would try cleaning the hole out with brake cleaner and then mix up a little JB weld and see how that works. I think the solder would harden too fast.
By DMX3
#212895 thank you for your reply :thumb:
teal_dx
By DMX3
#212916 well i got the head off and was checking it and i seen that in cylinder # 2 there was 1 valve that was half gone can i just replace that 1 valve i just need this motor to last til i can swap it.....THANKS ALOT FOR THOSE PICS..
By teal_dx
#212930 Why was it half gone? Did it contact the piston or did any debris from it score the cylinder walls? Usually when half of a valve is gone there's more problems on the horizon...