General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By frosty_eg
#343006 weather broke a bit so i was able to life car and stuff car is leaking alot of oil, someone mentioned i would need a rebuild . . . . but engine doesnt knock or stall drives just fine. The smell i seems more like oil burning and leaking should i just get new gaskets and seals or a is a rebuild probably needed?
By teal_dx
#343007 Can you look around the motor and see where it is coming from? Usually if it's leaking oil, it's a gasket or seal somewhere. If you're burning oil (blue smoke), thats when you need a full rebuild. Then again, depending on the mileage of your motor, it's sometimes worth it to rebuild entirely while you have it apart. Give us some more specific info :thumb:
By frosty_eg
#343010 it seems to be coming from the head and near the intake it looked like it was leaking right under engine. I checked for for blue smoke no blue smoke it more white/greyish. And i know i need a haivc also since it idles like crazy until warm.
By teal_dx
#343011 Under the intake is the oil filter. Also the oil pan gasket can leak. You'll have to slide under with a light and look to see where the leak is coming from. :thumb:
By frosty_eg
#343012 Thanks alot Tealdx you have been very helpful I appreciate it!! :woot:
By frosty_eg
teal_dx wrote:Under the intake is the oil filter. Also the oil pan gasket can leak. You'll have to slide under with a light and look to see where the leak is coming from. :thumb:

I just changed the head valve gasket and its still leaking from under oil pan im going to be changing that soon probably today would this cause the car to smell like burnt oil? I took to a monroe muffler they were saying the oil was leaking onto the exhaust and caused the smell?
By brandoff88
#343897 very possible, the 2 headers and downpipes I have pulled off the two motors I replaced, both leaked oil and it smelt bad...and the exhaust had oil burned onto it from dripping on the pipes..so id guess your smell is the oil pan gasket leaking for sure..not sure of any other leaks but that definitely sounds like the culprit
By TrailerTrash
#343912 the oil burning smell is literally the oil that is leaking burning off.

the oil filter might not be tight, there could be a problem with the black box, and the oil pan could be leaking aswell. all 3 of those could be dripping onto the exhaust pipe and causing even more of a burning smell
By frosty_eg
#343925 Thanks guys now i have an idea what to expect when i lift it up tommorow bought the oil pan gasket today its going to be good tommorow heres hoping it goes well.