General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By EG_Octo
#338190 I got a 1992 honda civic hatch and my heater does not blow out as much hot air. They told me I need to flush out my heater core but I really dont know how. Any tips?
By bks84
#338294 ive never done it on a honda, but on my cherokee, i removed the heater hoses and ran straight water through it. in that case it didnt work, i had to end up replacing the heater core.
By rustyrex
#338300 What I do on my four civics is remove the thermostat housing and thermostat, open the radiator cap, grab a hose and turn in on to a lower pressure, and spray it into the radiator. You will see coolant coming out at first then it will change to just water. Then I remove the upper radiator hose from the radiator itself and repeat the process. I do the same thing for the lower hose. Doing it this way flushes out the radiator, engine block and the heater core. To clean out a majority of the water I blow into the upper and lower radiator hoses either with my mouth or a air compressor if I have one. Then put in a new thermostat and gasket and refill the cooling system with the proper mix. Don't forget to bleed the system though. I do it this way for my civics, my F-150 and my wrx. Works every time.
By bks84
#338303 So youre pumping the old engine coolant onto the ground? seems eco friendly! :P
By rustyrex
#338304 Didn't think I had to state the obvious of putting a catch pan of some sort under the car lol.
By bks84
#338307 its the internet; you dont type it, i dont read it!