General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By TrailerTrash
#335141 So im having some trouble with my sedan. its bone stock and since ive bought it ive put like 5k miles on it and had ZERO problems.

so today me and the misses decide to head down to the washington DC zoo. its roughly a 95 mile drive and its pretty much all highway other than the first and last 5 miles.

i wasnt beating the car or anything i was cruising between 55 and 70 most of the way and the car ran great untill i had the cruise on and some ding dong pulled out in front of the truck in front of me and i hit the clutch and slammed on the brakes and the car stalled out. no big deal whatever the revs went from like 2600-idle in a second and i didnt think nothing of it.

then i have to get off the highway, go through a redlight, and get on another highway and the car dies at the light. it runs great till you come to a complete stop and it just slowly dies. doesnt sputter the idle doesnt jump nothing it just doesnt idle. it starts right back up but if you dont hold a little gas on it or pull out right away it will die. i went through 4 miles of stop and go DC traffic like this then i get to the parking garage and it idels fine :?

leaving back hrough the same 4 miles of traffic it doesnt stall out once. back on the highway for about an hour and it will do it again. i even kept it under 60 the whole way home. it wasnt getting hot, running rough, sputtering or anything else like that.

2 short 15 mile trips after that is does just fine :? :? :?
By Apexracing
#335153 Hows the clutch? Sounds like its sticking once its good and warm.
By TrailerTrash
Apexracing wrote:Hows the clutch? Sounds like its sticking once its good and warm.

no idea when it could have been replaced. all i have to go on is how it feels and it feels good. its kinda chattery when its damp and rainy out but other than that i cant complain. but ive never shifted hard or beat on it at all

teal_dx wrote:Good call... Since there is no cel, it must be something mechanical.
Is the maintenance up to snuff? (Ignition components, fuel filter)

it had the timing belt done recently when i got it aswell as a basic tune up. i plan on doing the fuel filter, plugs, wires, and cap/rotor soon and probably a nw main relay.

again today i made four 15 mile trips with a bit of 55 and 60mph stretches with no problems what so ever
By nd1983
#335174 i've been thinking about this all day and it sounds like to me, that with the engine running at a steady RPM for a long length of time, then has an issue idling, which makes me think A/F or ignition.

Clutch could be an issue but when driving on the high way you don't use it much. unless the throw out bearing got damaged during the sudden braking but that would affect it more with stop and go traffic then all the time not just some of the time.

i know its a long shot but have you checked for hose leaks? since rubber heats up when warm/hot. a hose will get hotter over long trips then short trips.

could possibly be the fuel filter as well. stop and go would slush the fuel to move any dirt particles that could be blocking but highway driving would have a stead flow.
By TrailerTrash
nd1983 wrote:i've been thinking about this all day and it sounds like to me, that with the engine running at a steady RPM for a long length of time, then has an issue idling, which makes me think A/F or ignition.

Clutch could be an issue but when driving on the high way you don't use it much. unless the throw out bearing got damaged during the sudden braking but that would affect it more with stop and go traffic then all the time not just some of the time.

i know its a long shot but have you checked for hose leaks? since rubber heats up when warm/hot. a hose will get hotter over long trips then short trips.

could possibly be the fuel filter as well. stop and go would slush the fuel to move any dirt particles that could be blocking but highway driving would have a stead flow.

i cant smell or see anything wrong with the car at all. i popped the hood as soon as i stopped and it was fine.

teal_dx wrote:I've not yet experienced this on a civic, but when a coil goes bad, they will sometimes work ok until they get too hot.

this is actually the first thing i thought of but i would imagine if it were th ecase it wouldnt want to run at all. once it stalls it fires right back up no problem but then dies.

and last month we had a hell of a heatwave and i made some short highway trips around 20 miles with no trouble in high 90s and sunday it was barly in the 80s
By teal_dx
#335254 Shit, I'm stumped...

The more I think about it, the more I think it is electrical related. Something failing after extended use.
But strange that it instantly starts back up after stalling out without time to cool down.
By TrailerTrash
#335261 THAT is the part that really gets me.

the clutch grabbing makes sense in a way but in a way it doesnt

i continue to drive problem free :?
By Uknterror
#335267 Then consider the problem solved :thumb:.

I hate problems like these because as soon as you give up and think it won't happen again......it happens again :x .

Everyone has already said what I could of thought of only thing I could possibly think would be a loose/faulty ground. Only reason why I say this is because I've seen numerous times where a car would be 110% perfect and all of the sudden just die without warning, spend hours/days trying to trouble shoot, end up cleaning up the grounds and everything perfect again