General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By Flatland_EG
#334810 This is my first DIY so here we go. :D

My car was a bit sluggish at the initial engine start and then ran fine, I asked for opinions on the FB page and this was suggested to me so I figured I'd pull the SOB off and give it a good cleaning.

The FITV is located on the bottom of your throttle body and is held in by three 10mm bolts, thereis also a coolant line going to it that you have to disconnect as well, a shop manual will show you where all these good things are. If you choose to just remove the FITV without removing the TB(the route I took) you may find the space to so a bit more cramped than removing the TB assembly as whole but it is more than doable, the only real pain I found was that some of the other hoses were a bit in the way.

SO, on with the DIY.

First we have the FITV itself, you can see the three bolt holes and where the coolant line connects.

Next I've removed the gaskets, make sure to set these somewhere safe, you don't want to lose these guys. :thumb:

Now you need to remove these two bolts and the cover, they took a bit of force to come loose but not too bad, when in doubt use a socket instead of screwdriver on these. Coincidentally, I used one those 6 in 1 screw drivers and the socket that you put the screwdriver bit in fit perfectly. :)

Here you can see that's it's a bit dirty inside. :thumbdown:

Just like the other gaskets make sure and set this piece aside so you don't lose it. Also notice the slots, you'll want to take a larger screwdriver and turn it counterclockwise keeping in mind the number of turns it takes to remove it.
During reassembly you need to reinstall it using the same number of turns so your car will idle right, too many or too less will cause you car to idle high or low.

When the pieces come out this is what you'll have.
TOGETHER
APART

Now you can take the spring retainer and compress it to disassemble this piece for cleaning, be careful though because this little SOB will take off on you if you're not careful. :o

Here are the disassembled parts ready for cleaning, don't forget to clean the inside of the housing good as well, I didn't get a pic of it but there was some gunk inside that that also needed to be cleaned out.
Engine degreaser and a small stiff bristle brush should work fine to clean up the parts, I didn't have degreaser so I used some warm water and dish soap which also worked really good.:thumb:

After all the pieces are clean make sure they've dried well, reassemble in reverse order making sure to remember the number of turns it took to remove the slotted retainer from the beginning, replace all the gaskets in their slots, and reinstall on your TB.
Hopefully this will solve what problem ales your car. :thumb:

After I reinstalled my clean FITV my car started perfect, I'll check again later and hopefully this solved my problem. 8)

Thank you everybody for checking out my first DIY. :)
By TrailerTrash
#334813 this is a nice DIY :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
By Flatland_EG
#334848 Thanks man. :D
By Punksz6
#334856 X2 Nice :thumb: