General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By teal_dx
#37058 This is pretty simple, all you need is a compression tester & ratchet/socket/extension to remove your spark lugs. Do this with the engine WARM.

got a compression tester for xmas :woot:

The small adaptor on the left is not needed for our engines. That piece can contact the piston or valves if used, since it extends into the combustion chamber.

Unplug your spark plugs & label their order if needed.

If your distributor is unmodified, then unplug the dizzy harness. The smaller plug with the 2 thick wires should be all you need to unplug.

I have an external coil, so I just unplugged that to prevent spark.

Remove spark plugs and remember what order you set them in. The plug condition may help you determine the cause of a problem if one of the cyls has low compression.

Insert the threaded hose end into the plug hole & screw it in by twisting the hose clockwise. It should be snug, there's a rubber O-ring on the end for a good seal, so there's no need to crank it down like you would a spark plug.

Once the hose is tight, slide the collar up on the gauge & connect it just like it was a compressor air hose.

Next you can set the compressor down and go turn the key, or have someone else turn the key if you want to watch the needle go up.
Keep the engine cranking enough so that all 4 cycles happen in the cyl you are testing. If you don't crank it long enough, you'll miss the combustion cycle & have a really low reading. You're not going to hurt anything by cranking it too much.

Here's a video: http://civic-eg.com/pics/diy/compressio ... CN2749.MOV
I was using my remote start since I didn't have anyone to hold the camera. The remote start only cranks for a couple seconds at a time, so you can see how compression increases with each cycle.

Read the gauge and write down on paper the PSI of that cyl. I had the engine warmed up, but by the time I charged the camera battery (30-40 min), it cooled back down a lot. I'm wondering if that had any affect on the outcome of the test...

After you're done, put the plugs back in. Connect the plug wires & distributor plug. Start it up & let it run for a min to burn up the gas went in while you were doing the testing.
By ohDirka
#37059 Another thorough write up nice work teal :thumb:
By stefan
#38749 A cold engine doesn't seal as good as a warm engine.
Warm metal expands, a nice example is that military airplane the US has, it leaks like a drunk teenager when on the ground, but is perfectly closed when hot.

But nice write up Teal!! :woot:
By Greasedmonkey
stefan wrote:A cold engine doesn't seal as good as a warm engine.
Warm metal expands, a nice example is that military airplane the US has, it leaks like a drunk teenager when on the ground, but is perfectly closed when hot.

But nice write up Teal!! :woot:

Dont talk bad about our SR51 its a awesome jet. The blackbird rocks. I had the GI Joe toy too.
By Bob Mknob
#38902 FYI: when performing a static compression test you should also keep the throttle body wide open :thumb:
By ChicagoMike
Bob Mknob wrote:FYI: when performing a static compression test you should also keep the throttle body wide open :thumb:

x2
Floor it and crank it!! :thumb:
By stefan
Greasedmonkey wrote:Dont talk bad about our SR51 its a awesome jet. The blackbird rocks. I had the GI Joe toy too.

Ow yeah, Blackbird is what I couldn't remember :P
By Ej2-B16a
#39014 u forgot to mention about dumpin a little bit of motor oil if u get a low reading..
By BAXTER_EJ1
#39646 :roll: This wasn't an all-in-one-tune-your-engine thread.

Haynes mentions unplugging your fuel filter to stop the flow of fuel into the injectors. Would anyone actually recommend doing this or is it a waste of time?
By teal_dx
Ej2-B16a wrote:u forgot to mention about dumpin a little bit of motor oil if u get a low reading..
]

yep if you have any low cyls and a drop of oil gives you better #'s, then you need new rings. If you have 2 low # cyls that are side by side, then there's a good chance you have a leaking or blown headgasket.
By ChicagoMike
MKennedy86 wrote::roll: This wasn't an all-in-one-tune-your-engine thread.

Haynes mentions unplugging your fuel filter to stop the flow of fuel into the injectors. Would anyone actually recommend doing this or is it a waste of time?

I think its a waste of time, fuel evaporates, and you're not gonna be cranking the engine long enough to totally flood out the cylinders.
By BAXTER_EJ1
#39685 Thanks Mike, because I need to pick up a compression tester tomorrow and do this :thumb:
By ChicagoMike
MKennedy86 wrote:Thanks Mike, because I need to pick up a compression tester tomorrow and do this :thumb:

How old are your spark plugs?? Since you have to take them out anyway, it might be a good time to just replace them.
By BAXTER_EJ1
#39691 Yeah for sure, I'm also going to be testing those :wink:

This is on the new motor, so I'm a little anxious to see what kind of shape it's in, and just praying that it's not horrendous :P
By Bob Mknob
BAXTER_EJ1 wrote::roll: This wasn't an all-in-one-tune-your-engine thread.

"unplugging" your fuel filter? As in disconnecting the fuel line? I hope not.. unless you're looking to bathe your motor in gasoline. If flooding the cylinders is a concern, just unplug the injectors.. takes about 30 seconds.