General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By omerdragoon
#332165 My friend had a d15b in his 99 ek civic he has ruined his engine and was thinking to buy a new d15b single or dual vtec we really dont know much and are short on cash our tuner recommended to get a Zc for the ek i wanted your opinion what should we buy?
By teal_dx
#332166 Not sure how difficult it is to find motors over there but here in the us, the dohc zc is considered an obsolete, outdated motor. It's an obd0 engine- one of the last Honda motors I would swap into an obd2 ek. If you have a limited budget, I say stick with a sohc vtec d series. And maybe look for a new tuner :wink:
By omerdragoon
#332169 thanks alot sir!
By suspendedHatch
#332173 Many engines are stamped ZC. The most widely known is the crappy OBD0 DOHC D series that was popular for putting into CRX's in the old days.

I had a ZC that was the JDM equivalent of a D16Z6. Slightly different cam profile and no port on the intake manifold for the purge solenoid.

There's also a ZC that is the equivalent of the D16Y8.

It would seem that the ZCs are all 1.6liter and the JDM D15Bs are 1.5.
By omerdragoon
#332214 so your recommendation is? if its the d16y8 equivalent one then i should go for it?
By suspendedHatch
#332303 Yeah, an OBD2 equivalent makes the most sense. D15B or ZC. If it's a 3 stage VTEC, get the ECU specific to auto or manual transmission.
By kaikohe
#332307 lol talk about old days I had 89 CRX DX with a ZC in it and i thought it was so fast but it was compared to the d16 that came in it that was rated at only 92HP the ZC put out 130 or so with a intake on it