General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By slwcreepin
#329975 It died on my wife while driving exiting the freeway. Battery is good. I test drove later as she was able to get it fired back up and limped it home as it was only 1\2 mile home. I twst drove and didnt happen.
Tonight it died again at Baskin Robins and I had to go down there. Would not start. Crank it and once I rwlease so starter doesnt engage it dies. Im thinking wither ignition switch or distributer. Any other ideas or ways to check.
By MG6
#329984 if you can crank it and it won't start... Sounds like dist failure, but I would see if there is any spark to determine on spending / replacing an expensive part.

Unless you know which part in the dist to purchase, then it will be cheaper.
By HeikDiesel
#329996 Good time of year for the main relay to crap out. You haven't narrowed down anything. Verify fuel, spark, timing, etc
By slwcreepin
#329997 Im pretty sure it is the ignition switch. But I will do a spark check first as well. Not sure bow to make sure the fuel pump is working or if there is fuel.
By HeikDiesel
#330000 Well if you turn the key on and the fuel pump primes and then shuts off after a few seconds you can eliminate the main relay. If you don't hear the pump prime I would look into that.
By slwcreepin
#330005 I dont tbink I have ever "heard" it. But then again I never really listend for it. Now my tahoe was easy to hear.
By MG6
#330032 You can definitely hear it.

Roll up all your windows, and turn off radio.

Best time to check if the fuel pump primes is during at night when it is quite and everyone is asleep. You don't need to crank it, just to check to see if your fuel pump primes is all you need to see if it is working.

If you don't hear it, take the rear seat out. (1) only and lift it up.