General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By 92civic_vx
Long Block
A long block is a complete engine, except it requires the external parts like harmonic balancer, valve covers, exhaust and intake manifolds, flywheel, timing cover and oil pan. The external parts are additional purchases, and will need installation.

Short Block
A short block consists of only the engine block, and needs internal parts such as oil pump, cylinder heads, lifters and gaskets. These parts are also additional purchases and need installation. A short block may or may not come with timing parts and camshafts. If you aren't a professional mechanic you should consider hiring one to install these parts.

found on ehow.com
By bradleyg
#328996 Typically when talking about an engine a shortblock is considered just the block (bottom end) and can include internals (crank, rods, pistons, etc) but not always.

A longblock is usually considered the block and the cylinder head together, and usually has it's internals but not always things like the intake manifold, distributor, etc.
By HeikDiesel
#329009 Short block is basically from the head gasket down, and doesn't always include accessories.

Long block is usually valve cover to oil pan. Although some long blocks that I have sold don't include the pan. Usually accessories have to be swapped such as flywheel housings, coolant lines, and sensors
By EG Love
#329019 So what im basically getting I think is

Shortblock = engine block (usually missing accessories)
Longblock = engine block + cylinder head (usually missing accessories)
Engine = engine block + cylinder head (usually has most accessories)

?
By 92civicEGsedan
#329031 Alright thanks I found me a engine on craigslist and he said it was a short block so I was wondering and I just asked him if the head was included and he said yeah so that guy doesn't know his stuff it sorta had me worried :thumb:
By baconsauce
92civic_vx wrote:
Long Block
A long block is a complete engine, except it requires the external parts like harmonic balancer, valve covers, exhaust and intake manifolds, flywheel, timing cover and oil pan. The external parts are additional purchases, and will need installation.

Short Block
A short block consists of only the engine block, and needs internal parts such as oil pump, cylinder heads, lifters and gaskets. These parts are also additional purchases and need installation. A short block may or may not come with timing parts and camshafts. If you aren't a professional mechanic you should consider hiring one to install these parts.

found on ehow.com

X2

I just learned that in auto tech class, lol
:lol:
By shaqwave
92civic_vx wrote:
Long Block

Short Block

found on ehow.com

Thanks for sharing :thumb: