General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By HagerSol
#324762 Hi guys hopefully this is in the right section. This morning was extremely cold (-35*C) I went to drive my gf to class and my motor (b18b obd1 in '93 sol) started slowly, followed by the usual quick squeak of the power steering. Clutch was cold so I let it idle for a few then reversed. When I tried to brake my revs increased and I could hear an air leak in the cabin seemingly at the brake pedal, and basically no braking force. Before I go pop in hood in the coldest day in 8 years I'd love a suggestion or two. Hopefully this has happened to someone and they can assure me it's just a hose or, maybe there's a plug in the firewall my pedal goes through which is faulty etc? Any advice is greatly appreciated, checking for vac leaks today is gunna suck balls!! Thanks in advance
-Dave
By Apexracing
HagerSol wrote:Hi guys hopefully this is in the right section. This morning was extremely cold (-35*C) I went to drive my gf to class and my motor (b18b obd1 in '93 sol) started slowly, followed by the usual quick squeak of the power steering. Clutch was cold so I let it idle for a few then reversed. When I tried to brake my revs increased and I could hear an air leak in the cabin seemingly at the brake pedal, and basically no braking force. Before I go pop in hood in the coldest day in 8 years I'd love a suggestion or two. Hopefully this has happened to someone and they can assure me it's just a hose or, maybe there's a plug in the firewall my pedal goes through which is faulty etc? Any advice is greatly appreciated, checking for vac leaks today is gunna suck balls!! Thanks in advance
-Dave

Cold seals cold seals, the brake booster, vacuum valve on the booster vac line, or mc could all be subject. If you never regained brake pressure then your booster and or mc is toast.
By HagerSol
#324798 Musta just been the cold? It's like -20/-25*C now and working fine. Thanks for replying with ideas!
On a side note once the car was warm I cranked the heater and it sounded like a 90's modem!! Remember choosing between the phone or Internet?!?
By nd1983
#324804 yea it was damn cold in ontario today. last night i had a similar issue (-30 w. wind chill) but it was just the cold causing the vacuum hose to be stiff and not seal properly.
By Apexracing
nd1983 wrote:yea it was damn cold in ontario today. last night i had a similar issue (-30 w. wind chill) but it was just the cold causing the vacuum hose to be stiff and not seal properly.

Yea thats what i though essentially
By HagerSol
nd1983 wrote:yea it was damn cold in ontario today. last night i had a similar issue (-30 w. wind chill) but it was just the cold causing the vacuum hose to be stiff and not seal properly.

That's exactly what it felt like, I guess I just didn't want to admit that could happen lol! Wiring and vacuum hoses are being completely redone this summer, an old GM mechanic owned my Sol before me and applied domestic wiring techniques throughout the interior, and I rushed the swap so it's looks, well like a GM tech did it haha! Thanks for the help and advice guys. Is zip-tying all pressurized vacuum lines worth it or am I just causing more work for myself?
By kylenjdm93
#324936 BALLS! really? -35*C?

that's -31*F in the states

its been +28* in Washington State, and I bitch about the cold.

how do you guys keep your balls dangling? mine would run away....[/list]
By Apexracing
kylenjdm93 wrote:BALLS! really? -35*C?

Youve heard of no shave november right? I just take it one step further in the winter hahahaha
By brandoff88
Apexracing wrote:
kylenjdm93 wrote:BALLS! really? -35*C?

Youve heard of no shave november right? I just take it one step further in the winter hahahaha

this haha its what i do lol