General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By brandoff88
#324459 i finally got everything done, and i tooke my plug wires off the dizzy to make sure it didnt fire, in order tobuild oil pressure, and i got power to everything but when i turn the key, nothing...now i do have to start my car with a screw driver teh tumber for the ignition is busted but it worked fine before i parked it, i have fuel pressure, figured that out when i turned the key and the banjo not on the fuel filter waswnt tightened :lol: any ideas?
Last edited by brandoff88 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By brandoff88
#324462 dear lord....forgot to press the clutch in when turning the key...maybe i shouldnt drink when working on cars, car cranks but i have to wait for fuel to evap since i didnt unplug injector wiring before cranking to build oil pressure...so here in about 15 20 min ill update everyone
By brandoff88
#324475 indeed teal, but heres my issue, i figured out i had the plug wired all wacked out, got them on right made sure teh dizzy was set to start on the 1st cyclinder spark plug wire, and set it to top dead center, i dont know if i flooded the engine because the plugs smelled like fuel and were wet, so i waited like an hour or so and tried to crank and it feels like it wants to fire but seems like something may be up, it cranks strong just wont fire, i know i have fuel, ill have to check for spark tomorrow, but anyone got any other ideas?
By brandoff88
#324498 ko so i really need help, i double and triple checked my firing order, fuel is good to go, and its trying to fire but still feels like it might be off or something, i double check all grounds, they are sanded and tight, no blown fuses, no cel codes, no lights on the dash stay on that arnt supposed to and everything seems right, i know its got to be something stupid like it was last night with my not pressing the clutch in lol....i just cant for the life of me figure it out

its a jdm d15b stock everything(minus intake) in a 93 coupe dx....it cranks stong im at my wits end after almost a year and it doesnt fire :(
By brandoff88
#324500 jsut to be sure this is the correct firing order right?

[url]http://media.beta.photobucket.com/user/yebabee/media/Pic16.jpg.html?filters[term]=jdm%20d15b%20vtec%20firing%20order&filters[primary]=images#/user/yebabee/media/Pic16.jpg.html?filters%5Bterm%5D=jdm%20d15b%20vtec%20firing%20order&filters%5Bprimary%5D=images&_suid=1358706667313033368454085763727[/url]
By teal_dx
#324514 when cranking, does it sputter at all like it is trying to start, or just crank of of the starter?

If you have spark (did you check the end of the plug wire to see if it arcs on the valve cover when cranking?) and you have fuel, then the next thing to check is compression and timing.

If you don;t have a compression tester, you can turn the crank by hand with a wrench (with spark plugs installed). There should be a lot of resistance on each compression stroke.

Last thing to check would be engine timing, that everything is at TDC.

For firing order, I always go by this diagram:
http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/9114 ... ef7wp0.jpg
By brandoff88
teal_dx wrote:when cranking, does it sputter at all like it is trying to start, or just crank of of the starter?

If you have spark (did you check the end of the plug wire to see if it arcs on the valve cover when cranking?) and you have fuel, then the next thing to check is compression and timing.

If you don;t have a compression tester, you can turn the crank by hand with a wrench (with spark plugs installed). There should be a lot of resistance on each compression stroke.

Last thing to check would be engine timing, that everything is at TDC.

For firing order, I always go by this diagram:
http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/9114 ... ef7wp0.jpg

ok teal heres the deal, i already set it to tdc, theres is very firm resistence on teh compression strokes, already checked that, havent had to time to check the spark, and everytime it goes thru its cycle it kinda chugs like it wants to fire but misses, i set my plug wires like so

valve cover

dizzy

________
1 3

2 4
________

is that correct?

ill double check spark today or tomorrow i got work all week so it will be hard
ill get back to you later on about this issue
By teal_dx
#324568 Here's a better diagram. It has the shape of the actual cap to help determine where each plug goes:

http://techautorepairs.com/images/fireorder3rd.gif

Check if your plug wires follow this order on the cap & if it is good then check all wires for spark. I bet it is one of those :thumb: