General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories

What brand of valvesprings:

17%
83%
By juls1488
#324355 So, I'm gathering parts for an all motor non-vtec build, and my camshaft is gonna need better valvesprings then what the stock valvetrain has.
I can get either of them for around the same price, give or take 10 or 20 dollars.
Looking for opinions or experience with either.
Thanks!
By bks84
#324403 What cam are you using?

either will work fine, but make sure you get a spring that will work w/the cam.
By juls1488
bks84 wrote:What cam are you using?

Im using a Bisimoto D16Y7 camshaft regrind (0.431" valve lift on the intake, 0.435" exh; 238 deg duration on intake and 230 deg exhaust at 0.040"). Itll work with either of those springs, im really just looking for brand preferences.
By bks84
juls1488 wrote:

Im using a Bisimoto D16Y7 camshaft regrind (0.431" valve lift on the intake, 0.435" exh; 238 deg duration on intake and 230 deg exhaust at 0.040"). Itll work with either of those springs, im really just looking for brand preferences.

Imo brands mean squat. You need to make sure the springs match what is recommended for the cam.
By juls1488
bks84 wrote:
juls1488 wrote:

Imo brands mean squat. You need to make sure the springs match what is recommended for the cam.

Both of them will work. I said that on my previous post. I'm looking for experiences, positive or negative, that others may have had with these two brands.
By bks84
#324438 In that case, Ive used supertech in my three of my engines.
By JUICE
#324447 I've heard nothing but bad about bisi products over about the last year and even worse about their customer service...

Plenty of the big boy racing teams are running supertech.. none are running bisimoto.. Especially in the drag racing scene, bisi has kinda of become a laughing stock. He just makes dyno queen show cars anymore, and you can make a dyno spit out whatever numbers you want.

Does this mean their valve springs are junk? No. But I'm sure as hell not gonna support them.
By juls1488
JUICE wrote:I've heard nothing but bad about bisi products over about the last year and even worse about their customer service...

Plenty of the big boy racing teams are running supertech.. none are running bisimoto.. Especially in the drag racing scene, bisi has kinda of become a laughing stock. He just makes dyno queen show cars anymore, and you can make a dyno spit out whatever numbers you want.

Does this mean their valve springs are junk? No. But I'm sure as hell not gonna support them.

Thanks for the input.
Honestly, i havent dealt with bisi in years. I bought the camshaft from them in 2008 for my daily driven EK hatch, and never got around to using it.
It also cost half as much as they are charging for em now too.

Looking like im gonna be going with supertech. Thanks fellas. :thumb:
By JUICE
#324449 The motor I'm about to swap in has supertech. I drove it and heard it run for about 15 minutes so don't really have any real "experience" with it yet. They were working just fine at 516whp though..

The head on my new setup..

BES ported B16 head w/ 4 angle valve job
Supertech Ti dual springs
Supertech valves
Bronze valve guides
Crower retainers
Skunk2 Pro 1 Cams
JG Edelbrock Intake mani
By Eg6H2D
JUICE wrote:The motor I'm about to swap in has supertech. I drove it and heard it run for about 15 minutes so don't really have any real "experience" with it yet. They were working just fine at 516whp though..

The head on my new setup..

BES ported B16 head w/ 4 angle valve job
Supertech Ti dual springs
Supertech valves
Bronze valve guides
Crower retainers
Skunk2 Pro 1 Cams
JG Edelbrock Intake mani

why Pro 1s? on the turbo set up?
By bks84
#324455 Ive been curious as to how it works, like the "ins" and "outs" but, never got an answer. I do know running Pro1's on a boosted motor can make for fun times.
By JUICE
#324476 Pro 1's are great for boosted motors. I know for sure speedfactory runs a pro 1 exhaust cam and they're making 1100+ on turbo plus another 300+ with nitrous. :lol: