General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By DontHateonEG8
#309891 read up on other peoples build threads and working on your own engine will give you the knowledge.
By poorman type-r
Dillz wrote:Most people on here work on their own cars as a posed to paying for labour, how did you all develop your skills with engines?

Research and Trial and Error bro. :thumb:
By Hatch-O-Doom
#309898 Trial and error, working on my own cars.

Also big thing was I went to A tech Universirty to work on cars. helped me gain just a little more knowalage\.
By gtstripes
#309900 reading everyones buildthreads and doing alot of buildthreads and openning the bonnet and doing DIY stuff..

another thing was when my timing belt snapped and i was forced to swap engines, man i learned ALOT!
By Leppy
#309905 4 years at a Honda dealership. Started by changing oil, trained by a master tech, and ended up being a full line tech. Also, a 6 month stint working for Nissan for $$ reasons. I went back to Honda after that, then started college.

Best way to learn , in my opinion, is to grab a wrench, pull something apart, and put it back together.
By blk92hb
#309954 A yr of auto tech back in high school, other than that research on the internet, haynes manual, and just started tinkering
By 706josh
#309957 Reading and Researching over and over before I try to do any work myself. I make sure I understand every detail of what I'm going to do before I even touch the tools. :thumb:
By FG2_Andrew
#309962 My old friend John. Got me into Hondas. Also my dad, taught me at a young age - all engines will teach you something. Take the time to learn something about everything.
By bigpunn421
#310032 best book imo for older honda motors http://www.amazon.com/Honda-Acura-Engin ... 155788384X

theres alot of other books for honda specific performance too thats just the first that comes to mind.

you can apply knowledge from any motor to a honda. they all work the same for the most part. fuel and air come in and spark and compression ignite it and crank turns that energy into usable power

start looking up basic engine knowledge and basic performance knowledge.

trial and error is good but it costs alot of $$$$ and most of us dont have too much $$$. atleast i dont have enough $$

so if you put in time researching, gain friends, go to local tracks/shows and talk with people youll have a better understanding before you know it.

you can learn about almost anything engines these days via internet.

heres a good term to get you started http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeKPhZhz0FA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60QX5RY_ohQ good video showing basics

crapy vid but great example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WlfvRmS ... re=related
By bks84
#310961 old school trial and error.
By chrono404
#311027 Ever since i was old enough to walk and my dad worked on cars I always worked on cars with him, fetching wrenches or whatever. I then did more and more as time went on.

Now today when we work on cars or wiring. My dad fetches parts for me and I get to put them in. kinda come full circle. :lol: But I have fun. I love working on cars and its one of my biggest hobbys besides graphic design and videography.
By E-Noise
#311041 when i was younger my brother and cusin built and raced hondas. i mean i was like 10 and when i started spending time with them (them baby sitting) they had me help. then 4 years of auto tech in high school.
By 94 EG Hatch
#311837 I grew up around Novas, Chevelles, Vettes, you name it. Been around the track all my life. When I got into school, I started specializing in 4 stroke 4 cylinder DOHC engines, as they are compact, give you lots of room to work, and are probably some of the easiest modern day SFI / EFI / PFI engines to work on. Also got into ECU tuning, Wideband / UEGO systems, air/fuel ratios, basically tuning refinement. I have tuned a couple of my friends automobiles and they run good. It takes lots of trial and error though. I blew up two engines before I finally started getting things right.
By teal_dx
#311839 Find someone with an old blown motor with a spun bearing. You'll probably get it for dirt cheap and have fun taking it apart. Best way to learn is doing it yourself after reading how. :thumb: