General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By Ecc0
#307147 Hey I'm trying to do a water pump sway on my D15b aerodeck (Sorry not an EG) and need to crack the crank pulley nut but don't have an impact wrench.

Have tried with the brakes on but still won't shift it.

One issue I do have is there is no hole all the way through to poke something to help stop the crank moving.

Anyone got any ideas. Thanks in advance
By Ecc0
#307158 Thanks I read that very post yesterday but will have to wait for the tool to arrive from the US, which is why I was asking if anyone had any ideas as already stripped out all the other bits and just stuck on this one nut.

Like I said there no hole in the pulley to poke a bolt through to then lock it against the block as this is how I've done it in the past.
By gtstripes
#307159 that :x bolt taught me how to swear in 15 different languages

i ended up buying another pulley + bolt for my engine swap $165 well spent! :lol:
By slow4dr
#307163 Not sure if they have the tool in england but on mine I used a tool that looks like vise grips with a chain on them its like 20 at autozone here not sure about your parts store but if you can get it lock it onto the pulley and give it hell
By TrailerTrash
#307171 my crank pulley doesnt have any holes in it either. the way we had to it was a pain in the ass.

the car was in gear and I had my girlfriend holding the breaks with the wheels on and the car on the ground. my moms bf had a breaker bar with a cheater pipe on and I had my hand down on the extention holding it straight so that when he put pressure on the bar, the socket didnt slide or tilt on the nut. it came off eventually.

impact gun didnt do a dam thing.

then i got the pulley off and whoever had it off before didnt put the key in it :x
By gtstripes
elrompetoto wrote:When ever I do a timing belt I go 2 a shop pay then 5 or 10 bucks and let them use there air gun 2 take it off.

so u drove it home with the nut loose????? u got balls man lol
By TrailerTrash
gtstripes wrote:
elrompetoto wrote:When ever I do a timing belt I go 2 a shop pay then 5 or 10 bucks and let them use there air gun 2 take it off.

thats not what he means.

pays the shop to break the nut loose then tightens it back up to a not so tight point that it can be taken off once home.

i tried 3 different air guns on mine. 2 air and one electric and they didnt do a dam thing
By suspendedHatch
#307439 Impact isn't going to do it. You need a 1/2 ratchet with a pipe on the handle or a breaker bar.

Use your tool of choice to hold the crank. Autozone will loan you a tool, you can buy a special socket on Amazon, or you can get one of these http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categoryd ... Code=27115

Lay on the ground and use your leg. :lol:
Last edited by suspendedHatch on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
By elrompetoto
gtstripes wrote:

yeah I mean I tighten it 2 the point that it won't come lose. It comes off easy if u have the right tool the dude I pays he has a 200 psi compreser and the air gun that u use 2 take off 18 wheelers tires he just tad it and it came lose iv took about 5 cars there and all of them come off like nothing
By elrompetoto
suspendedHatch wrote:Impact isn't going to do it. You need a 1/2 ratchet with a pipe on the handle or a breaker bar.
I have broken braker bars using it like that it's not the proper way the braker bar can snap and iv seen them shoot pices in pplz faces. Once u exten the handle more then the leanth it is all u do is run a risk of braking ur rachet or ur braker bar
By Ecc0
elrompetoto wrote:
suspendedHatch wrote:Impact isn't going to do it. You need a 1/2 ratchet with a pipe on the handle or a breaker bar.
I have broken braker bars using it like that it's not the proper way the braker bar can snap and iv seen them shoot pices in pplz faces. Once u exten the handle more then the leanth it is all u do is run a risk of braking ur rachet or ur braker bar

This unfortunately is how I'm gonna have to do it as the impact wrench hasnt touched it.

Luckely all my tools are lifetime warranty so it I snap my breaker bar I get a new one for free.

Am waiting for my crank dampener to arrive and will be able to lock the crank pulley in place which has been my problem from the start of this.

Thanks for everyone's hints and suggestions.