General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By jred
#305627 Well i pushed my car pretty hard this weekend and im now hearing a ticking/knocking noise coming from my engine "B16a", it sounds like the tappets but louder, Im thinking its the crank bearing but the noise seems to be coming from the head so im not sure, when i rev the engine, the noise occurs when i release the gas and the engine is free revving as the RPM drops,..any ideas what it could be??
thanks in advance
By teal_dx
#305637 any chance you can take a short video w/ sound?
I'd pull the valve cover first and give the motor a few cranks by hand just to check for anything major that can do damage.
By brandoff88
#305665 i had that same problem before my motor shit out on me, took about 2 weeks from when the sound started to when it gave, so id start possibly looking for a new motor or be ready to rebuild that one
By jred
teal_dx wrote:any chance you can take a short video w/ sound?.

did one yesterday when i got home, this should be more helpful to you guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7kvEDrHZFs&feature=plcp

it sounds like its coming from the head, im pulling off the valve cover today to take a look
By brandoff88
#305791 yeah thats the EXACT sound i had, watch, your going to be driving and all of a sudden your going to put your clutch in and its going to die and not start back up, and it will sound like the motor is half seized, i wouldnt drive it, dont do what i did and ignore it, take that bad boy apart and find out whats loose/broken/wrong.

ps i like to call that the "death rattle" i personally thought it was just valvetrain, but i still havent figure out what was wrong with my old motor, i just bought a new one...so if you figure it out let me know so i can tear the other one down and rebuild it too :thumb: