General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By TeeHizzleNizzle
#305276 My air intake (Not the manifold) makes a loud sucking noise. Some people have told me this isn't normal, some people said it is.

I have a Spectre short ram intake.

THIS AUDIO IS WITHOUT THE SPECTRE FILTER
The sucking noise is coming from the intake tube
Click the link below to hear audio
http://soundcloud.com/fortheloveofsound ... take-noise

I also seem to be getting only average MPG even with a short ram intake and a full exhaust and headers (Stock catalytic :roll: )
By TrailerTrash
#305283 its just breathing. perfectly normal.

you should hear my velocity stack :hehe:
By TeeHizzleNizzle
#305447 Thanks guys!
It just seemed unusually loud compared to some of my friends cars, as if there was some resistance.
What do you guys prefer , Spectre (oiled) filter or AEM (Dry flow) for performance and MPG
By brandoff88
#305481 also as a side note, NEVER run your car without an air filter, impurities get in there and cause MASSIVE damage, not trying to flame you or nothing, just dont want to see you mess your motor up, but the oiled types seem to trap smaller particles and dust, i guess its just dependant on the quality of the filter, im sure each has their disadvantages and advantages.
By TeeHizzleNizzle
brandoff88 wrote:also as a side note, NEVER run your car without an air filter, impurities get in there and cause MASSIVE damage, not trying to flame you or nothing, just dont want to see you mess your motor up, but the oiled types seem to trap smaller particles and dust, i guess its just dependant on the quality of the filter, im sure each has their disadvantages and advantages.

Thanks man, you're totally right
At first I thought the noise was just because of my filter, but the noise still occurred without the filter on
By suspendedHatch
#305610 AEM dryflow is the best filter money can buy.

The noise is normal and will vary depending on intake pipe design.

There is no fuel mileage increase from modifying the intake or exhaust system. It's a myth that has been repeated as dogma online since the advent of car forums. Modifying a car can increase your VOLUMETRIC efficiency, but that is almost the opposite of FUEL efficiency.

There is a slight exception... underpowered cars will see a gain in mpg in certain environments ie hilly streets because you power up to cruising speed faster. Cruising requires about 12hp while acceleration requires up to 100% available hp.