General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By 92civicEGsedan
#304960 i have a cold air intake i got from ebay yes i know probably not any good but hey 40 bucks i wasnt gonna pass it up plus it looks better then the stock air intake but anyways in the install instructions it says something about resetting the ecu so it will "learn the new intake system for better performance" i just wanted to know is that is necessary?
By 95kuope
#304961 i never done none of that to my previous car but then again i never look @ instruction.

I don't think it necessary. get more performance parts & then just get a simple tune u'll be more happy & car would run much better.

GL
By bradleyg
#304964 It's not absolutely necessary to do it, but I mean it wouldn't hurt to do it anyways. Personally I would do it, but like I said its not required.
By 92civicEGsedan
#304965 it wouldnt hurt but i dont think you will be able to feel a difference i might do it after i get a full exhaust setup
By teal_dx
#304972 Nothing wrong with an ebay CAI :thumb:

The only cheap part of that package is usually the air filter. I've seen them rust and the filter element is not the same as K&N (even though it kind of looks the same)

I'd rock it for now, but later on replace just the filter part with a true K&N that you can clean/re-use over time. :thumb:

Resetting the ECU is as simple as unhooking the battery for ~20 mins or pulling the ECU fuse in the underhood fusebox for a minute.
By 92civicEGsedan
#304990 my grandpa about traded me his k&n air filter off of his truck cuz his is red and my filter is blue and i wanted red but i decided not to shit him with this crappy filter haha
By couch_c
teal_dx wrote:Nothing wrong with an ebay CAI :thumb:

The only cheap part of that package is usually the air filter. I've seen them rust and the filter element is not the same as K&N (even though it kind of looks the same)

I'd rock it for now, but later on replace just the filter part with a true K&N that you can clean/re-use over time. :thumb:

Resetting the ECU is as simple as unhooking the battery for ~20 mins or pulling the ECU fuse in the underhood fusebox for a minute.

Is it really necessary to reset the ecu?
By suspendedHatch
#305044 AEM paper filter nor K&N. The oiled filters coat your intake manifold and valves with oil which picks up air particles and gets nasty. The AEM flows better too.
By baconsauce
teal_dx wrote:You don't absolutely have to, it's just an intake. You're not going to do any damage if you don't reset it. :thumb:

How do we reset the ecu when they are necessary?
By 92civicEGsedan
Deffyjeffy wrote:
teal_dx wrote:You don't absolutely have to, it's just an intake. You're not going to do any damage if you don't reset it. :thumb:

How do we reset the ecu when they are necessary?

In hook the battery for 2 hours or pull out the fuse for the ecu
By suspendedHatch
#306074 Pull the 7.5A ECU backup fuse in the under dash fuse box. Tap the brake or flash the parking lights to kill the surface charge. It doesn't take two hours.

You will lose your clock and radio memory.
By baconsauce
#306079 as long as I never use my radio and I would be fine, it that right?