General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By alexholland
#304226 Hi, my name is Alex. I'm new to the forum. Have been watching and reading for a while but just recently decided to sign up. I'm from Texas and I drive a 95 EG hatch with a JDM B18c.

I just had a question for everyone about my motor. I've noticed lately when I'm cruising or taking off that my engine will sometimes "skip" or "lug" a bit and extremely briefly will drop like 1K rpm. I can sometimes be going 40 mph and this will happen for example. It may skip 2 or 3 times and then it will stop for a while. :x Just wanted to know what I could do to resolve this issue seeing as how it is extremely annoying. I had a buddy of mine say it could be my ECU and the way it's tuned. Not too sure on that yet. I consider myself fairly new to Honda engines but I'm a fast learner if anyone has any input it'd be greatly appreciated. Also, my front o2 sensor is not hooked up due to the fact that I don't have an inlet on my Megan Racing headers (causes CEL) but I doubt that has anything to do with it.
By brandoff88
#304239 that o2 sensor is needed for feedback regaurding your a/f ratio (air to fuel) if its not hooked up it could cause massive problems (running too rich or too lean) also is it a stock ecu? i would suggest maybe having a shop (reputable of course) drill and tap a hole for that header, or get a new one, because without that your ecu cannot properly read your exhaust gases to adjust the a/f ratios properly, which could then lead to detonating, burning out your catalytic converter, numerous other problem(warped cylinders, holes in pistons)and not to mention shorter engine life, and i know b18c's arnt cheap (specially jdm models) so the question you have to ask yourself is that header worth all that in the long run, personally id rather use a junk ebay header with the o2 sensor hook up then risk damaging my expensive motor (200-300 for decent header vs 3000 for a new motor) choice is yours, and this may not even solve your problem but i think it would be a BIG step in the right direction, but dont go throwing money away on parts unless your sure it will solve the problem, research is your best freind when it comes to troubleshooting, best of luck and hopefully running without that sensor hasnt already damaged anything.
By alexholland
#304242 Thanks for the tip, you made some really valid points. Well here's another issue. The harness for the sensor is a 1 wire hookup (I'm guessing because it's a JDM setup). So where would I go about finding a sensor that will fit a 1 wire harness? I can take a picture and post that tomorrow, unless anyone else has run into this problem. I don't think this issue has caused any damage yet because the car runs extremely well any other time. If this could fix what you said you think it will then I think I agree; it could be a huge problem solver. I have a buddy that helped build cars for the Gone In 60 Seconds movie haha and he said he can weld me an inlet on my pipes for like $40. Now the question is where am I going to find a sensor...
By brandoff88
#304251 you can get sensors prety much anywhere, ebay, autozone, any other parts store, but make sure you get a GOOD one, if you get a cheap used one it could go bad fairly quickly, and as to your one wire issue, im not sure, i know obd1 and obd2 harnesses and motors have different wiring for the sensor so make sure you get the proper senser and pigtails( wiring set) for your harness and motor, and if you insist on keeping that header the 40 bucks would be WELL WORTH IT in my opinion just make sure welds are all solid and done properly other wise youll have a leak and improper info sent to your ecu, but im glad i could help take care of that first and let us know if it helps if not we shall try other trouble shooting steps :D again good luck and get that taken care of quickly, if you can just run a stock header if it will take a while to get that done. also get pictures of the sensor and wiring so i can get a better idea of what your talking about :thumb:
By SkunkDcivic
#304267 Japan actually has more strict emissiOn laws then we do cuzz of how small the island is and hence we get there motors at 30 to 40k
By alexholland
#304353 Image

Here is the harness for where the O2 sensor plugs in. As you can see it is a 1 wire setup where the pipe would actually serve as a ground. Could someone tell me where I could find one to fit this harness? I'd be skeptical of Autozone, etc. but I'm also new to this so who knows.
By brandoff88
#304387 werid, i know some are two and some are three wired but i honestly havent seen that, but i know my o2 sensor plug looks EXACTLY like that...i think you could go to autozone and they would tell you what type you needed and then you could buy from them or source one online for cheaper, just make sure its compatible with the one wire hookup. thats what kinda threw me for a loop but defintly ask around and do your research, i know some o2 snesors go for as much as 130 so make sure before spending you get the correct one.
By alexholland
#304419 If you could that would mean a lot to me. This is my daily driver and I'm really trying to get that CEL to flip off. I just seafoamed the gas tank and vacuum line up front and that really made a world of difference though. Hasn't lugged or skipped since then but I really want to get this header issue fixed.
By teal_dx
#304463 I would get the o2 sensor for a 92-95 civic cx. It will still be 1-wire instead of the normal 4 wire, but it will be for a 5th gen obd1 civic, not 4th gen obd0.

What ecu are you running?
By alexholland
teal_dx wrote:I would get the o2 sensor for a 92-95 civic cx. It will still be 1-wire instead of the normal 4 wire, but it will be for a 5th gen obd1 civic, not 4th gen obd0.

What ecu are you running?

Can you link me to that sensor? I can't find it... :?

I'll have to check on the ECU cause that could be a problem too :x
By alexholland
#304470 Also found out the ECU is a JDM P72
By brandoff88
#304488 ok sounds like you got the right eco but what teal said get one from a 92-05 obd1 and you should be good as long as its got the one wire
By brandoff88
#304646 haha i meant ecu in the last post, i went out and looked at both my old headers(as i dont want to reuse o2 sensors) my old one was 4 sire, and the one off my d15b from japan came with one wire....they are both jdm d15b's but i thinks its just a japanese thing...im not sure...but yeah...just thought id would let you know what i found on mine.