General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By bigJOE671
#293330 I was told on this forum that all B-series thermostat are the same.

My motor is a first gen B16a.

Went to the dealership and bought this for $46, the Thermostat is from a 2000 Si

Thermostat is located here under its housing. Make sure the engine is cold

Had to remove my intake to get better access

Remove these 2 bolts to free the housing (note you will lose some coolant)

Pull off the housing (note you will lose some coolant)and this is what is underneath...the thermostat, take note in the direction its facing

Here what is looks like when i pulled it out.

Now putting the thermostat in...I used a new gasket, better safe than sorry. . align the ridges. because there is only one way the thermostat is going to go in.

Now i install everything in reverse order of removal. Next open up the radiator and add the coolant you lost, use a 50/50 mix or dilute standard antifreeze using the proper amount of water. Add to the radiator until its full leaving the cap off. try to squeeze the lower radiator hose until most of the bubbles come out of the top of the radiator. Then top it off with coolant and start the car, again with the cap off the radiator. turn the heat all the way on, and watch the radiator. as the car begins to heat up and the coolant begins to circulate air bubbles will work there way out the top. Notice the coolant level will drop as air escapes. Keep it topped off every time it drops. when the engine reaches normal operating temp and you have great heat, top off the radiator again and place the cap on. Keep checking the coolant levels over the next few days(always on a cold engine) if the level stays the same then you got all the air out.
By dbrooks
#293456 Good write up!