General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By Crowie27
#292848 Hi all, greetings from Australia.

My poor 95 civic, 1.5l SOHC is having some issues. Initially it was the fuel pump after I ran it empty and on refueling it refused to start - we got the pump running after removing it and running it directly off the battery, we hit it with a hammer and its came to life, intermittently. New fuel pump and fuel filter are now in place for good measure however, car still having issues (the fuel pump is working as I can hear it when I turn the ignition)

It has stopped twice on me, both times after trying to accelerate from lights (not sure if relevant). On removing spark plug wire and setting it on the valve cover, we tried starting and there was no spark at the time. But 5 minutes later it was all good and it drove 200kms without a problem before stopping once again.

I would jump straight to the distributor but this was replaced only 1 year ago, $600 (ouch) and I'd like to think it is still good. It is still receiving correct voltage on multimeter.

Whilst waiting for the fuel pump I did give the engine bay a wash and although I thought I was careful, its possibly water related?

Ive read every post in this forum but I could do with some case specific assistance. My knowledge is unfortunately limited. Im reading various things to check..... main relay, 3 distributor sensors, ICM, 3 engine bay earths, crankshaft sensor, ignition switch?! Thoughts? and some direction would be much appreciated. Thankyou in advance.
By teal_dx
#292864 Start by pulling off the distributor cap and check for moisture. Maybe some water got inside if the problem started after washing the engine.
When the distributor was replaced, was it replaced with an OEM Honda part? Was the coil inside of the distributor also replaced?
By Crowie27
#292945 Hi teal, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately it is pouring outside and has been all week so probably not the best time to be checking for moisture. As for the distributor, I assume it is a genuine honda part as it was replaced by honda. The coil was definitely replaced as this is what was broken in the first place. I just started and drove my car down the road, it was fine. Very frustrating...

Could moisture still be a possible cause even though I cleaned the engine bay a good 3 weeks ago? eh...
By Crowie27
#293283 Hi again, I checked the distributor cap today and there was no moisture or signs of corrosion on the contacts. The problem has however got worse and my car will start, give it a few revs and then it will shut off, no spark. engine light on. Switch ignition off, back on and it fires up again. (did this 4 times). :?
By Ecc0
#293290 What about your leads??? Have you check to see if there are any signs of corrosion or damage to them???

I would start with the dizzy and cap as you have then work through each part of the ingnotion system till I find a fault and fix that then see where you are with her.