General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By bk_civiceg
#286494 I recently picked up a complete B18c1 swap for $900 with axles, tranny, and ecu. :thumb: Guy said it had 150k miles and ran good. I wanted to do a compression test before I bought it, but the tranny wasn't bolted on and it was a fairly long drive for me to come back at a later date. Ended up buying it after taking off the valve cover and checking the oil, belts, etc.

I just did a compression test on it and came out with these numbers:

Dry
195-200-190-125

Wet
220-245-240-175

It seems to me like #4 is low. My plan is to build the motor n/a later when I have a little more money. Do you think it's alright to drive on these compression numbers for about six months? I figured I should adjust the valves and maybe that'll help it.

What do you all think?? :?
By bk_civiceg
#286584 Anybody have suggestions??
By Apexracing
#286616 Like you said the number is low. I wouldnt drive it below 150. Im guessing it could be rings or a bad head gasket. Try to get a honest answer out of the seller before you go any further.
By tegpower18
#286639 Do a leak down test and see where the issue is
By bk_civiceg
#286643 He swears that it ran good. I talked to his brother when I picked up the motor because the guy selling it wasn't present and he said it ran good. Weird.

Would doing the compression test in below freezing temperatures with the engine cold affect the numbers that much??
By Apexracing
#286654 If the motor was sitting in unfavorable conditions and hasnt ran in a bit the rings on that piston could be stuck. Dump a oil cap full of oil in that cylinder then run the motor for 10-15. Then do the test.
By bk_civiceg
#286658 I've been testing it when the motor is not in the car. I just jump the starter with an extra battery and find the readings. I did the wet test also when it was cold and the number for that cylinder was 175. I'll try to do a leakdown tomorrow if I can rent a leak down tester.
By Fada Blayne
#286868 like mentioned above there might be an issues with either the rings or even the headgasket.
By bks84
#286887 I think I know the car this came out... it didnt happen to come out of a 96-00 Civic coupe did it?
By bk_civiceg
#286923 Motor came out of a stock gsr. The owner wrecked the car and pulled the motor.