General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By evarela28
#280886 whats up guys.. i have a 99 civic ex and i love this car, i was considering just selling it because its starting to lose power ( time to replace engine) but decided to stick with it until i finish college.

My question is does anyone know of a reliable/ honest place to take my car near los angeles?

also, would it be better to rebuild it or buy one of those jdm engines with low mileage?

and prices as well if you had this done before..

thanks
By poorman type-r
#280891 Is there any reason why you wouldnt want to do it yourself? Just wondering because it is fairly easy. What motor were you looking at getting? A stock replacement or a B series?
By Moez_cx
#280893 If ur afraid of finding some one reliable than u better off doing it ur self there's so many diys out there on engine swap that it really Shuldnt b tht hard and it's a good learning expiernce :hehe: U save some cash that culd be put some where else like loans if u have Any 8) and u feel proud saying u did it by yurself :thumb:
By familyEGuy23
#280905 Inline4 in the OC is a well known shop
And price depends on what you want swapped in your car for example a local shop I got quoted $2400 to swap in a JDM d15b it's alot considering the motor is only $550 the rest was labor, adding Vtec, auto to manual conversion, etc.
DIY = Do it yourself = win
By Ajax1989
#280913 Go to inline4 in garden grove... Brandon does good work and is good people
By evarela28
#280944 i wish i could do it my self.. im pretty sure i could do it my self but i cant afford all the tools that are involved.. i just want a stcok motor the same one.. i feel like putting a B series engine would be a bit to expensive for me.. ill check that one place out in garden grove and the oc.. any idea about the price range or should i just call? thanks
By Ajax1989
#280946 We are talking about the same place.. inline 4 is the Oc one but its in garden grove to be excat off knott and katella down the street from knotts Berry
By evarela28
#280961 wow i must look stupid lol! cool ill check it out and see the prices.. thanks alot for all the info guys
By poorman type-r
#280966 You really don't need much to do it though :? Pry bar, 10,12,17,19mm sockets, socket wrench, a pallet and a car jack. That's about it. Unplug all the sensors, take the wheels off, pop the axles out, undo the shifter cables, unhook the Radiator and all of your grounds, take off the motor mounts and drop it onto the pallet and there ya go. :thumb: Oh and unplug the battery should've been the first thing haha.
By egbeegee
#280981 Like the before posts sence you wanna do a direct replacement it would be super easy to do it yourself, but I understand if you don't have tools and maybe just don't wanna deal with the headache. But anyway you can find a single cam pretty cheap these days id shop craigs first and go from there. Any shops gunna charge a bunch cuz of labor. But good luck man in whatever you decide!