General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By EJ1STYLEN
#279766 What's up guys I was wondering if a obd2 civic cat fit the eg sedan....I have a friend that has a 96 civic hatchback and I was going to borrow his cat and put it on my sedan. Will it bolt right up? The cat I'm borrow is the one underneath the car. Please advise ASAP need to pass smog.
By chrono404
#279785 If its a stock 96 civic it will not bolt up. The stock D16y7 in those cars have the cat right at the front where our header is.

There are High flow cats on ebay that are not to expensive.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACURA-94-01-INT ... 43aaa7a22b - $30.00
By EJ1STYLEN
#279786 I'm talking about the secondary cat not on the headers... Sorry for not clarifying it.
By teal_dx
#279795 If you're doing it for the purpose of passing emissions, avoid the ebay "high flow" cats. They are more like a test pipe than a cat. They might help you pass a visual test but I don't know about a sniffer.
By EJ1STYLEN
#279799 I'm doing it for emission. I heard that the obd2 cat cleans the emission 90% and that the obd1 cat only cleans the emission 70%. So I just want to know if the obd2 secondary cat will bolt up with the eg?
By teal_dx
#279823 I'm a little confused on why it's called "secondary cat" as there's only one, right? There's a secondary o2 sensor on obd2 cars which goes after the cat.

But Civics only have one cat, either right under the header or under the car in front of the B pipe.

I was told that the cat is most efficient when mounted directly below the header because the exhaust is hotter closer to the engine. This is what the Civic HX, VX (and I think CX?) had. The other models to my knowledge have the cat in the usual place underneath the car.

So when you ask if an OBD2 cat will fit, it should be a direct swap as long as it is the kind under the car, link your sedan has.
The cat under the header will also bolt up to your D series but the civics with this kind of cat had an extended B pipe because there is no cat under the car in front of where the B pipe normally ends.

(B pipe is the long mid-pipe with the two 90° bends.)
By EJ1STYLEN
#279849 Ok..sorry for getting it all confused. Ok since the hx, vx and cx only had the cat on the header what civic had the cat underneath the car?
By asianrob
EJ1STYLEN wrote:Ok..sorry for getting it all confused. Ok since the hx, vx and cx only had the cat on the header what civic had the cat underneath the car?

92-95 EX/si and LX, 96-00 EX and integras.
i think the 92-95 DX was also the EX/si style. but i havent seen a stock one in so long i couldnt tell you.