General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By neo27ny
#278403 I just put my radiator back in, filled up with antifreeze and there doesn't seem to be any coolant flow through the radiator hoses. It was going fine before and I could feel the pressure in the hoses, now I can squeeze them and there is nothing there. What would cause this?
By teal_dx
#278406 Sounds like you did not bleed the system.
Run the engine with the radiator cap off and when it reaches normal temps, the thermostat will open and the coolant will begin to circulate. Keep topping off the radiator every time it gets low and you'll fill in all the air pockets and be good. :thumb:
You may need to have someone hold the RPM's as a couple grand to get the temps up faster.
By lunaticracer21
#278444 and run the heater also with radiator cap off

teal_dx wrote:Sounds like you did not bleed the system.
Run the engine with the radiator cap off and when it reaches normal temps, the thermostat will open and the coolant will begin to circulate. Keep topping off the radiator every time it gets low and you'll fill in all the air pockets and be good. :thumb:
You may need to have someone hold the RPM's as a couple grand to get the temps up faster.
By neo27ny
#278458 Thanks! I was a bit sketchy about running the car up to temp with the fluid not circulating. I'll give it a go.
By neo27ny
#278613 Picked up some more antifreeze today, topped it off. I let the car run for about a half hour and the top hose started to get hot bottom one was cold and still no coolant flow. Also my fan never came on. How long does it usually take to reach temp? The temp gauge was at half, seemed to stop there. :?
By lunaticracer21
#278616 your thermostat is stuck replace it or run the car with out it and then check for coolant flow
By RWMIII
lunaticracer21 wrote:your thermostat is stuck replace it or run the car with out it and then check for coolant flow

Normally a half hot/half cold radiator means that the radiator is clogged.
By RWMIII
lunaticracer21 wrote:your thermostat is stuck replace it or run the car with out it and then check for coolant flow

and it is not recommended to run your car without a thermostat :roll:
By lunaticracer21
#278631 i run all my cars a street bike with no thermostat ive never had a problem
By Honda4life
#278637 i would flush out your radiator, and then replace your thermostat. It does sound like the thermostat is stuck
By lunaticracer21
#278655 just take out the old thermostat and put everthing back together put coolant in it a see if it flows if it dose put in a new thermostat keep me posted
By neo27ny
#279012 I took out the thermostat put it back together, started it up and let it run. I could see flow through the fill hole in the top of the radiator. It was churning around and bubbling, I kept adding more and it would bubble up air and go down a little. It just just doesn't feel like any pressure in the hoses still though, but apparently it is flowing. Any ideas?
I also boiled my thermostat to test if it was working and it opens and closes fine. With or without the thermostat I'm not feeling pressure in the hoses.