General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By HatchbackCrusader
#276682 Recently started smelling gas with the windows rolled down but only when I fill up half tank or over. Not like exhaust but straight gas. Please let me know of any common fuel leaks. I've checked the following:

fuel filter
fuel rail
injectors
injector o-rings
fuel lines under car
replaced fuel tank cap
fuel pump cover under rear seat

What's the best method for finding a fuel leak? I've searched high and low. I even read somewhere that cracked headers or a bad exhaust manifold gasket can cause the o2 sensor to think you're running too lean and send too much fuel to the engine. I'm stumped! [smilie=BangHead.gif]
By RWMIII
HatchbackCrusader wrote:Recently started smelling gas with the windows rolled down but only when I fill up half tank or over. Not like exhaust but straight gas. Please let me know of any common fuel leaks. I've checked the following:

fuel filter
fuel rail
injectors
injector o-rings
fuel lines under car
replaced fuel tank cap

What's the best method for finding a fuel leak? I've searched high and low. I even read somewhere that cracked headers or a bad exhaust manifold gasket can cause the o2 sensor to think you're running too lean and send too much fuel to the engine. I'm stumped! [smilie=BangHead.gif]

you answered your own question with your last statement.
By HatchbackCrusader
RWMIII wrote:
HatchbackCrusader wrote:Recently started smelling gas with the windows rolled down but only when I fill up half tank or over. Not like exhaust but straight gas. Please let me know of any common fuel leaks. I've checked the following:

fuel filter
fuel rail
injectors
injector o-rings
fuel lines under car
replaced fuel tank cap

you answered your own question with your last statement.
:lol: Ok , at least I know I'm on the right track. Now for phase 2 lol, how can I find a header leak. I can't spray soapy water it will just burn right off (duh).
By poorman type-r
#276735 Check all of your welds. That is where most exhaust leaks are located, you are not going to crack the header itself. Check the bolts that bolt it to the head and make sure you have all of them.
By Apexracing
#276876 sounds like your tank has a leak to be honest. fill it up and check the seams.
By Chance
HatchbackCrusader wrote:Oh shit my bad, just realized I posted in the wrong section by accident.

Moved it for you. 8)
By teal_dx
Apexracing wrote:sounds like your tank has a leak to be honest. fill it up and check the seams.

I agree with this :thumb: The fuel level would not be related to a bad o2 sensor or header leak.

If your o2 was bad, you would also see a decrease in fuel economy. If you has a pinhole in your header, you might hear a slight hissing when the motor revs.
By civic eg-k
#281069 ive got the same problem. but i still get good milage. lol maybe its the gasket to the fuel pump. idk i dnt have time check yet. but i smell it mostly when i make turns left or right.