General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By Rgaray5396
#269212 Guys I have a 93 civic sedan with a D16z6 and a Automatic Tranny. I have a knocking noise that is coming from inside my valve covers. I think I know what will happen next. :(

Well anyway I'm lost and undecided what to do. Should I rebuild it stock again or do a swap. If it is a swap, I want a direct bolt on or just nothing to crazy. I know I know it's an AUTO tranny but bare with me. You can pretty much say it is a budget build. will buy full exhaust, header, and a intake. I was thinking a rebuild or b20? Maybe even a d15b.

I just want something fun to drive since it is my Daily Driver and I want her in the healthiest condition ever.

Thanks alot my friends,

Rich
By chrono404
#269215 A JDM D Series is going to be the easiest. just pull the engine and put the new one in place. a JDM D15b VTEC(not Vtec-e, the real VTEC one) it will have the same power and torque at the z6, however the torque curve will be better and the engine will be alot more fresh and young.

B Series auto swaps are more complicated. I have read that DC(94-01) teggy auto trannys wont fit, so you need to use a DA(90-93) auto tranny. Not sure as to what mounts you will need.

However B18 and B20 Torque is huge and amazing compared to a D Series. I was thinking about swapping in a B20(or b18 LS) with CR-V Auto AWD Tranny into a EG Sedan or coupe, making it AWD, Then Boosting it with a Small turbo. Basically make a WRX, only a Honda. I still do want to do an All wheel drive build quite badly. However I came into some money and just bought a '04 WRX Wagon Automatic and love it.

A Nice peppy Automatic is awesome. I have recently been driving in lots of stop and go traffic for training at my new job. I am so Glad I have an automatic. I actually wish to a degree that I built an AWD Honda Sedan as I would have a trunk to hide stuff and I would get better fuel economy.

I hope you go for the B Series swap and make a build thread. Google has info about B Series autos into EG's/Ek's. I was looking into it a while back. That said the easy(boring) route is to swap your engine. If you know what your doing it can be done in a day, however if its your first swap i would give you a weekend to get the job done.

Swapping to a B Series I would set aside a weekend if you have all the parts. If you dont then it will obvously take longer having to go to junkyards to get the parts you need. The Small stuff(throttle cable, torque mounts, etc) always give hassle. Going automatic the path less traveled will give other less obvous hassles like shifter cable length and such.

Good luck either way you go. :thumb:
By Rgaray5396
#269229 Thanks for your reply.

I was thinking of ordering my engine from http://hmotorsonline.com/shop/ and go pick it up locally.

An easy swap for me would be the D15b.

Thinking about it, a B series would be a little harder for a guy doing a swap for the first time. Especially since I'm doing this alone and with no experience with this.

I am up for the B series challege, I would just need to do my homework before I ask a question.
By Mr. Pink
#269279 the knocking from your valve cover is probably just your valve lash being out of adjustment. no need for a motor swap unless the noise is from the lower end. but with that said i would use Hmotors personally.