General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By EG {FIVE-500}
#268022 one day a few months ago. my little civic 1.4 ej9 1997 started having problems starting then about a month ago would not start at all. i would turn the key but no sound what so ever. so i have gone through the list had a voltmeter test done it came back the alternator was reading 12 volts but i explained to the mechanic when i bumped the car i could drive for as long and as far as i wanted so he said it could be the starter motor. so i thought sod it went and baught a starter motor that didnt work so went out the next day and baught a new battery that still didnt work. all the fuses are fine the wires look fine as far as i can see ive changed the earth cables unplugged my sound system in case that is draining it and nothink would work so i got a brand new altenator took it out for a spin come back and now all i am getting from the car is tiny clunk sound from the starter and now to be honest its really :x me off i now dont no where to turn i need help :lol: the next route i was going to go down is the ignition switch any one got any valuable information i could use or any ideas on where to look next. i have also checked the ecu to see if every thing is plugged in and everything is plugged in fine on the ecu and behind the fuse board
By andyc
#268119 so the engine dosent turn over at all?
By EG {FIVE-500}
#268120 nope not at all. all i get is a small clunk sound from the starter then nothink at all but everythink is brand new so dont no where the problem lies thats why i was thinkin the ignition switch going out now to see if i can find any clues will keep you posted
By {ikon}EM1
#268122 Check all ur connections and grounds first... same thing happen to me and it was the ground wire from the tranny to the chassis was loose and the car did the same thing urs did...
By EG {FIVE-500}
{ikon}EM1 wrote:Check all ur connections and grounds first... same thing happen to me and it was the ground wire from the tranny to the chassis was loose and the car did the same thing urs did...

already changed both of them and still nothing. i am now thinking its something electrical now my engine management light wont come on nor the battery light i only get the handbrake and the green key flashing ummmm what a :x.
By Eg6H2D
tq2ugetme wrote:
{ikon}EM1 wrote:Check all ur connections and grounds first... same thing happen to me and it was the ground wire from the tranny to the chassis was loose and the car did the same thing urs did...

already changed both of them and still nothing. i am now thinking its something electrical now my engine management light wont come on nor the battery light i only get the handbrake and the green key flashing ummmm what a :x.

Checking them does nothing.. On the transmission where the Ground cable connects tot he Chassis clean or sand down really well where the connection Metal to Metal is made.. also on the bracket on the trans where that specific ground wirre connectes to.. no rubst must be present there nice and shiny contact.. same thing happened to me a few months ago after buuying 2 starter motors.. TRY THAT IT SHOULD WORK IF YOUR GETTING A CLUNK/CLICK SOUND..
By EG {FIVE-500}
#268172 sweet will try that tmoz i went over it lightly with a wire brush but will take paint back to bear metal see if that does anything.

any one got any ideas on why the engine check light would of died thanks for the input every one much appreciated hopefuly will get it sorted soon
By EG {FIVE-500}
EG6b20R wrote:
tq2ugetme wrote:

EG6B20R wrote: Checking them does nothing.. On the transmission where the Ground cable connects tot he Chassis clean or sand down really well where the connection Metal to Metal is made.. also on the bracket on the trans where that specific ground wirre connectes to.. no rubst must be present there nice and shiny contact.. same thing happened to me a few months ago after buuying 2 starter motors.. TRY THAT IT SHOULD WORK IF YOUR GETTING A CLUNK/CLICK SOUND..

thank you both for the input it is much appreciated. i cleaned both the ground cables thats the first thing i done when the problem started but thought i cleaned it enough but obv not lol think i was bein a bit lazy which has bit me on the ass because i went out baught a new starter,aternator and battery and it all comes down to me not cleanin it of properly. i went out with the drill and a wire wheel and took it to bare metal now its firing up first time every time so there shal be a lesson learnt from this DONT BE SO :x LAZY LMAO thank you any way