General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By Ej2-B16a
#28263 Alright first thing you want to do is MAKE SURE YOUR CARS BEEN OFF!!! (so when you take off your hose you don't burn youself..) it cools down fairly quick.

1. Drain your coolant out of your radiator..

2. Unclamp the lower radiator hose

There is a picture of the thermostat housing.

3. Remove the two housing bolts, (spray some pb or liquid wrench..) careful not to break the head off..

Once youv cursed up a storm and got the bolts off

heres what you should pull out, there is no bolts or clamps.. this will slide out

SPOON THERMOSTAT FTW! :thumb: :thumb: Image

There ia a seal on the old thermostat, make sure that your new one has iether a new seal or reuse the old one if a seal wasnt provided.

heres a cut up picture of the order it all goes in

Lay your new thermostat in, seat it in very nicely (it wont click or even stay in, you have to cover it with the housing.
Make sure that the seal is on correctly or you might end up leaking..

Make sure to replace your hoses if you'v had a bad thermostat..

(reason)

i blew the lower radiator hose today.. (literarly BLEW IT) as i was at a stop light .. if you see a ball at all by your thermostat replace the hose...

be careful, smart, and have fun!
By ChicagoMike
#28264 Excellant thread! Thats what we like around here!

Funnier thing is.....I did this about 3 hours ago on my car.
By Ej2-B16a
#28265 lol sweet, how did that go? did u have a bitch time trying to get the two bolts off?
By vtec_gloucester
#28279 great write up :thumb:
By ChicagoMike
B16nintyfiveCoupe wrote:lol sweet, how did that go? did u have a bitch time trying to get the two bolts off?

No, it wasnt too bad. I'll probably have everything apart again today, I'm trying to figure out why my shits overheating.
By ohDirka
#28303 good write up :thumb: ive had to do this like 10 times
By Ej2-B16a
ChicagoMike wrote:
B16nintyfiveCoupe wrote:lol sweet, how did that go? did u have a bitch time trying to get the two bolts off?

No, it wasnt too bad. I'll probably have everything apart again today, I'm trying to figure out why my shits overheating.

could also be ur water pump.. or pray its not a blown head gasket..
By teal_dx
B16nintyfiveCoupe wrote:
ChicagoMike wrote:

could also be ur water pump.. or pray its not a blown head gasket..

could be a lot of things, here's a good general checklist:
http://www.civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=36 :thumb:
By Ej2-B16a
#28332 beautiful... love the write up teal, hey i had a suggestion.. put up a cooling system thread?

there really is alot to talk about.. DIY's...

types of coolants.. and what the diffrences is..

thermastats..

radiators..

performance radiators..

suggestions for all of the above etc..
By JDMLYFE
#294580 great thread, going to finish doing mine today, its was a BITCH to get the 2 bolts off. what should i do about air bubbles? before i attach the housing i fill up the rad, leave cap off and squeeze lower rad house until the bubbles come up?