General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By goodyearrr
#254594 Hello lads,

Just recently changed the head gasket, everything is back together but have had problems with firing.

First off, the cam timing is fine double checked it.

First time i started up the car, the revs were fluctuating a lot and the car was mis firing. Went back had a look, no vaccum leaks, gave my plugs and leads a little clean. same problem. I looked at the dizzy cap and didnt have the order 1-3-4-2 which i thought i had originally done. So i changed leads 3 and 2 in what im sure is the correct layout (haven't been able to find a clear picture for my d13b2) and now the car wont start up.

Anyone shed any light on my problem? One other thing if it helps or makes a difference, i had the distributor attached when the head came off.

Its driving me crazy! Any help?!?

Cheers
By goodyearrr
#254622 Double checked it, and that was what i had originally thought it was! :o Thanks!

So now i know that its in the right order, what would be the reason for its lumpy/rough idle? Once the revs drop down to its correct idle it struggles and stalls. Would this be to do with my distributor timing? If so is there a diy on how to advance/retard it?

Cheers!
By goodyearrr
#255060 UPDATE:

Its idling now, revs arent bouncing up and down as much very minimal now, so i took it for a test drive. It sounds more deeper with a growl? (not sure why). Havent gone past 4000 rpm at the moment but is driving okay. Still misfirin on idle (not always, but plugs, leads, rotor arm, dizzy cap all been changed).

In answer to whether the check engine light is on - is no its not mate.

So back to the timing, when i was lining the cam gear line with the line on the timing cover i have to turn it just slightly so that the belt can go straight onto a tooth, the line is over minimally but could it be that i need to go just slightly the other side on the line? Or would this minimal amount not make a difference? i'll try post up pictures

Cheers for the replies so far mate!
By goodyearrr
#255102 Another update:

Timing is all done now idles like it used to, UNTIL i put this sensor (the red one in the picture) back in by the head then it doesnt idle

Im glad i can drive it now, looking to sell soon for either Civic hatch (d16z6) or del sol (d16z6), cant decided which one yet :thumb: :?

Cheers for help teal! :thumb:
By goodyearrr
#255135 Yep i believe it is mate, why would pluggin it in make my idle fluctuate and then stall?
By kapow
goodyearrr wrote:Yep i believe it is mate, why would pluggin it in make my idle fluctuate and then stall?

Are you getting any CEL codes on your dash? Plug your coolant temp sensor back in, take your negative terminal of your battery for a few minutes so it resets the ECU, hook it back up and turn your key to accessories and see if any CELs come up, let us know how it goes!