General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By Ajax1989
#254365 Waddup all

i've got a question
when doing a oil change i normally pour like half a qu of fresh oil
so it can flush out more dirty oil

i was told that i could use gas, now wouldnt the gas take all the oil outta the motor? is that a good thing to do when changing oil??

im not sure many of you read whats goin on in my build but im bout to do a major tune up including the head gasket and if i could get all the oil outta the motor before pulling the head that would be awesome, less of a mess i would have to clean up

but if pouring gas into the oil to clean it up is bad then ill pass, i dont want to mess up my bearing or cam...
oh and i plan on taking the oil pan off when i do the tune up(R&R oil pan gasket)

thanks
AJ
By eg-guy
#254414 Seafoam works the best. The directions are on the bottle to pour in your motor.
By {ikon}EM1
#254442 I've herd about the gas cleaning off nuts and bolts... I've done it to some of my axle knuckles and it works great when they pop out and fall on the floor when im messing around under the car... but i put high temp grease to coat them before putting them back...

Idk how u would do that b4 adding putting it in the motor...
By teal_dx
#254451 I wouldn't use gas. I'd rather have oil in my bearings than gas which is much thinner. Plus then you would have to put in more fresh oil to wash out the gas because you don't want gas in your new oil. I say what you're doing already is good :thumb:
By forcefedEG
teal_dx wrote:I wouldn't use gas. I'd rather have oil in my bearings than gas which is much thinner. Plus then you would have to put in more fresh oil to wash out the gas because you don't want gas in your new oil. I say what you're doing already is good :thumb:

X2 gas will was the oil out the when you start up u have gas where lil should be
By ImThaBean
scrape n pavement wrote:Seafoam works the best. The directions are on the bottle to pour in your motor.

Do this before oil change. then your good.
By Ajax1989
teal_dx wrote:I wouldn't use gas. I'd rather have oil in my bearings than gas which is much thinner. Plus then you would have to put in more fresh oil to wash out the gas because you don't want gas in your new oil. I say what you're doing already is good :thumb:

well i plan on draining the oil, after it stops dripping outta the plug i was gonna pour a lil gas over the head(VC off) and manily drain the oil outta the head, and im taking the pan off too so i can clean the gas outta the pan

and i wouldnt mind useing some left over oil to flush the gas out

i just want all if not most of the oil outta the head so when i pull if off it wont be everywhere, getting into the coolent passages, on the ground etc...