General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By hensondo
#238793 Didn't want to screw up this thread http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=18953&highlight= So I started this one. I went to go check for spark on my civic because it wants to crank but just won't start and I found oil where the spark plugs are. Could this be the reason why it doesn't want to start :?
By andyc
#238804 ABSOLUTELY - copy and paste jobby lol

Oil can only get to the combustion chamber then onto the spark plug through the worn valve seals or broken/damaged piston rings or blown head gasket.
When too much oil is accumulated into the combustion chamber the spark plug will, eventually, give up and not fire as fuel will only ignite when petrol and air mix together(known as atomised fuel). Having too much oil mixed with petrol and air will not fire with the deteriorated spark from the spark plug. If you keep on changing new or cleaned spark plugs then the engine may fire up but with a lot of smoke (blue smoke).
In the end, either cylinder head has to be removed to investigate and/or new piston rings and rebore will be required.
By andyc
#238806 I think if it was seals or rings its unlikely none of the cylinders would fire. In an old EJ2 of mine, I lost compression in one cylinder (same symptoms as yours) but the other 3 cylinders ran fine, the car just sounded like a tractor lol
By chnzgoofball
#238807 have u over heated pretty bad before? if you didnt overheat or have over 250k on the motor...its most likely your vavle cover gasket and spark plug tube seals that needs replacement pretty simple job u can do it in 30 min to about an hour :thumb:
By andyc
#238810 I havent had that before, lets hope its just those then :D
By Datsmart
#238813 I agree that your spark plug tube seals are allowing oil to leak into tne spark plug tubes. What you have to ask is why is the pressure in your crankcase high enough to push oil into them?
You need to check your Positive Crankcase Ventilation system. Is your PCV value ok? Does it rattle when you shake it? Can you blow through it?
Are your valve cover vent lines intact or have they been eliminated for that cool new cold air intake?
Is it pretty cheap/easy to correct your PCV system first.
By hensondo
#239001 This is all good advice and thank you to all, but Canadian winters arn't going to be kind to me these next couple of days and im contemplating on whether or to take it to a shop or work on it in -15 degree weather lol