General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By jmoshe
eg84dr wrote:have the head shaved and make sure to get any remaining gasket off of the block
use razor blades and sand paper be carefull not to scratch the block surface with the razor blades

Getting ready to put the Cylinder head on... I plained the Cylinder head... whats the best way to clean the block surface ??? Is steel wool OK ? Any other options ?? I've been told not to use sand paper... is that true ?
By jmoshe
jmoshe wrote:
eg84dr wrote:have the head shaved and make sure to get any remaining gasket off of the block
use razor blades and sand paper be carefull not to scratch the block surface with the razor blades

Getting ready to put the Cylinder head on... I plained the Cylinder head... whats the best way to clean the block surface ??? Is steel wool OK ? Any other options ?? I've been told not to use sand paper... is that true ?
Should I reuse the original 10 head bolts back on or should I get new ones ?
By HatchbackCrusader
jmoshe wrote:
HatchbackCrusader wrote:Don't forget, its always best to change the water pump too, and don't make the same mistake I made!

D15b Timing Belt--> http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=18777

What's a good/average quality of timing belt to get. I am getting a $12 price from one store and a $27.00 from another . Same with the Water pump. One says $47.00 and the other $30.00.. I would like to keep my cost low but do not want to compromise on the quality... what do you think ?

What I usually do is inspect them at each store. If one seems better in quality, I'll go with that one, if theres no big difference, I'll get the cheaper one. When I got my water pump, one store had it for 60 and the other had it for 30 and they were literally the same exact pump.
By jmoshe
HatchbackCrusader wrote:
jmoshe wrote:
HatchbackCrusader wrote:Don't forget, its always best to change the water pump too, and don't make the same mistake I made!

D15b Timing Belt--> http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=18777

What's a good/average quality of timing belt to get. I am getting a $12 price from one store and a $27.00 from another . Same with the Water pump. One says $47.00 and the other $30.00.. I would like to keep my cost low but do not want to compromise on the quality... what do you think ?

What I usually do is inspect them at each store. If one seems better in quality, I'll go with that one, if theres no big difference, I'll get the cheaper one. When I got my water pump, one store had it for 60 and the other had it for 30 and they were literally the same exact pump.

Well, I replaced the head gasket, timing belt, waterpump and put the head back again.. It did not help ! I got '0' compression on all cylinders except for # 3 that was a low reading of 30psi.. just like the original problem.. So i think it could be something in the engine block... pistons.. rings etc ?? .. any ideas ??
Last edited by jmoshe on Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By jmoshe

Well, I replaced the head gasket, timing belt, waterpump and put the head back again.. It did not help ! I got '0' compression on all cylinders except for # 3 that was a low reading of 30psi.. just like the original problem.. So i think it could be something in the engine block... pistons.. rings etc ?? .. any ideas ??
By Datsmart
#240087 Squirt some oil into each cylinder and check compression again. Oil will help seal the piston rings.
If your compression does not improve, then the problem is not rings.
By jmoshe
Datsmart wrote:Squirt some oil into each cylinder and check compression again. Oil will help seal the piston rings.
If your compression does not improve, then the problem is not rings.

I did that ! I poured some oil onto cylinders 2 & 4 while they were down and spread the oil around the walls with my fingers while I still had the head off...
You think I may have an issue with the valves ?