General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By Eg6H2D
#236688 you want to know exactly how? JDM d15b Vtec?

http://civic-eg.com/viewforum.php?f=38 use this and look around the forum alot of threads with timing belt changes. :x
Last edited by Eg6H2D on Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Eg6H2D
By jmoshe
EG6b20R wrote:you want to know exactly how? JDM d15b Vtec?

http://civic-eg.com/viewforum.php?f=38 use this and look around the forum alot of threads with timing belt changes. :x

Thanks... my car broke down on the Hwy and I noticed smoke coming out of the top of the timing belt area.. I figure it overheated.. The car would crank but not fire.. I guess replacing the timing belt would fix the issue ? Could additional damage have been done ?
By Flatland_EG
#236704 You may want to crack that motor open and take a look at the internals. Our motors are interference motors, if the timing belt breaks or gets way out whack it can cause serious problems, mainly, the pistons coming up and hitting the valves.
If your lucky it won't start because the timing is too far off, worst case is some top end work, it's better to be safe than sorry though when something like this happens and check everything out.
By jmoshe
EGg OH! wrote:You may want to crack that motor open and take a look at the internals. Our motors are interference motors, if the timing belt breaks or gets way out whack it can cause serious problems, mainly, the pistons coming up and hitting the valves.
If your lucky it won't start because the timing is too far off, worst case is some top end work, it's better to be safe than sorry though when something like this happens and check everything out.
What do you mean by top end work ? Valves and pistons ? I may have to wait for the weather to get a bit warmer before I can do anything as the car is out on the driveway...
By jmoshe
teal_dx wrote:^^^ exactly. Also a bent valve or 2 will not hold compression. no compression = no power coming from that cylinder. I'd do a compression test.

I doubt if a compression test can be done if the timing belt is broke .. after all, I saw a lot of smoke coming out from the top of the timing belt casing...
By eg84dr
#237250 not sure why there would be smoke comming from the tb cover :?
replace the timing belt and then do a compression check like teal said if no compression the you most likely bent or chipped a valve
top end ( head) work is fairly cheap and easy to do
By jmoshe
eg84dr wrote:not sure why there would be smoke comming from the tb cover :?
replace the timing belt and then do a compression check like teal said if no compression the you most likely bent or chipped a valve
top end ( head) work is fairly cheap and easy to do

Can you direct me to a post about "Changing the timing belt".. I am getting ready to change my timing belt soon.. Thanks
By jmoshe
eg84dr wrote:search man search
im a nice guy so here you go
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=649277
others are not so nice

OK, I checked compression on all cylinders and they were all almost 0.
I took out the head and checked the Head gasket and noticed a burned spot on the upper right hand corner by the timing belt sprocket. The block looks good to me but of course I can't tell what's going on inside with the pistons.. I have taken some photos .. I would like to send them to you.. Should I take the head to a machine shop ? What do you suggest I do ???
By jmoshe
eg84dr wrote:post pictures in this thread and then more than just me can help you
Real stupid question... How do I post a picture in this thread ?